Winnipeg Bear Clan Patrol donation protects volunteers from needles

A local military outfitter has reached out to Winnipeg’s Bear Clan Patrol, providing a thoughtful but important donation.

Urban Tactical posted on Facebook that they donated 100 pairs of Needlestick gloves to the group.

“We’re happy to be able to help keep the volunteer Bear Clan Patrol members a little safer,” Urban Tactical wrote.

The Bear Clan says they’ve recovered over 30,000 used needles off of Winnipeg streets this year, so far.

The donation comes after a Bear Clan volunteer was taken to hospital after being poked with a used needle, according to a recent Facebook post.

The Bear Clan says this is the fourth time a volunteer has been poked by a used syringe.

“It’s always scary, the risk of infection is remote but very real,” Bear Clan posted.

The group continued by saying donations like the gloves are fundamental to foot patrol group.

“It’s hard to articulate the feelings that this type of support brings. Somehow thank you seems terribly underwhelming.”


Source: Read Full Article

New Brunswick Francophone schools close after police receive threat of armed gunman

Officials say warnings of a possible threat against schools in northern New Brunswick could be a Halloween hoax, but they are continuing to investigate the potential risk.

Francophone schools in the province’s northwest were closed Wednesday after police said they received two calls regarding a possible threat, with one caller saying an individual intended to enter a high school with a gun “to do a clean-up.”

Insp. Steve Robinson of the Edmundston Police Force said it could be a stunt, but that the threat was credible enough to close all 18 schools in the district.

“Until we can confirm it was a prank call we’ll take this situation seriously and assume it could be real,” he said in an interview.

“We’ve dedicated all of our efforts to finding out what happened.”

City spokesperson Mychele Poitras said an update was expected Wednesday afternoon but that “it seems like it could be a prank.”

“Police are meeting with several people who may or may not be involved,” she said. “They are not taking this lightly at all.”

Police said a first call was received at 5:34 a.m. by a man who said that his son’s friend intended to go to Edmundston’s Cite des Jeunes A.-M.-Sormany High School with a rifle.

They said a second anonymous call at 6:15 a.m. indicated that a male student was carrying a rifle in a guitar case.

Robinson said the RCMP is involved in the investigation because the calls appear to be coming from the Haut-Madawaska region – believed to be the youth’s area of residence.

“The situation is worrying and we wanted to close the schools because of the threat,” Robinson said in a statement. “It may be a stunt because it’s Halloween, but we cannot take any chances in a situation like this.”

Police said because the targeted school or the suspect’s place of residence were unclear, all the schools in the district and the administrative offices were closed.

The Francophone North West School District, which includes the Grand Falls, Edmundston, Saint-Quentin and Kedgwick regions, has 18 schools, 5,218 students and 880 employees, including more than 400 teachers, according to its website.

The high school allegedly targeted – Cite des Jeunes A.-M.-Sormany – has approximately 1,300 students in Grades 9-12.

“We are aware that this situation can cause fear and worry for families,” Luc Caron, general manager of the school district, said in a statement in French posted to Facebook.

“Fortunately, there were no incidents and all of our students and staff are safe.”

The statement added that it’s unclear whether classes will resume Thursday, noting that “it’s impossible to predict if the situation will be back to normal tomorrow morning.”

Education and Early Childhood Development Minister Brian Kenny said the safety and security of students and staff is a priority.

“We understand that district officials and police made a decision to close all schools as a precaution as initially it was unclear where the threat was coming from or if a specific school was being targeted,” he said in an emailed statement.

He added that department is monitoring the situation and school officials are working closely with police.

A social media post by the school district early Wednesday indicating all schools were closed was initially met with confusion as parents and students scrambled to figure out what was going on.

However, as news of the threat became apparent, many took to Facebook to praise authorities for their quick response.

Edmundston police and the RCMP are continuing to investigate and recommend parents keep their children at home or stay with a responsible person for the time being.

Source: Read Full Article

Saskatoon weather outlook: creepy Halloween, November rain/snow

Creepy Halloween conditions make way for November rain and snow.

Saskatoon forecast

Halloween Wednesday

Spooky conditions started Halloween in Saskatoon on Wednesday morning with creepy mist dropping visibility to 2 kilometres at times once daybreak hit.

-6 is what it felt like with wind chill as temperatures slid back to -1 to start the day before warming up to 4 C before noon.

Mist will briefly lift during the afternoon as a daytime high around 7 C gets reached under partly to mostly cloudy skies.

Halloween night

Trick-or-treaters will be greeted by temperatures falling from around 5 C around 5 p.m. to around 1 C by 8 p.m. under partly to mostly cloudy skies.

Trick-or-treaters will be greeted by mostly cloudy skies and a chance of more mist Halloween evening.

Eerie conditions could be enhanced by a return of the mist that started the day before temperatures dive back down below freezing overnight.

Thursday

-6 is around what it’ll feel for the first morning of November early on Thursday with a risk of freezing rain to start the day, switching to plain rain once temperatures get above freezing during the day.

Rain or freezing rain is likely in Saskatoon to start November Thursday morning.

Precipitation will change over to a risk of rain and snow in the afternoon as the system swinging through draws in cool air and breezy northwest winds gusting up to 45 km/h with a daytime high around 4 C.

Friday

Another system swinging by to the south on Friday will kick up a good chance of snow, particularly Friday afternoon with a few centimetres possible in Saskatoon.

Gusty easterly winds up to 50 km/h will also come with the system with an afternoon high only making it around 3 degrees above freezing.

There is a good chance of snow on Friday, particularly later in the day.

Weekend outlook

Clouds and precipitation from Friday’s system will clear out of the area on Saturday with late day sunshine possible before the next low slides in and brings back the clouds and a chance of flurries on Sunday.

Daytime highs should manage to stay a few degrees above freezing before diving below zero for the first full week of November next week.

Here is your Saskatoon 7-Day SkyTracker Weather Forecast.

This picture of blood tooth mushrooms was taken by Terri Lang at Waskesiu for the Oct. 31 Your Saskatchewan photo:

This picture of blood tooth mushrooms was taken by Terri Lang at Waskesiu for the Oct. 31 Your Saskatchewan photo.

Saskatoon weather outlook is your source for Saskatoon’s most accurate forecast and is your one stop shop for all things weather for central and northern Saskatchewan with comprehensive, in depth analysis that you can only find here.

For weather on the go download the Global News SkyTracker Weather App for iPhone, iPad or Android.

Source: Read Full Article

Edmonton bus company launching northern Alberta routes

An Edmonton-based company is launching a new bus service in the northern part of the province.

With Greyhound Canada ending operations in Western Canada at midnight on Halloween, Cold Shot said it’s starting services in mid-November in northern Alberta, Edmonton to Red Deer and Calgary and interline connections to bus services into British Columbia and Saskatchewan.

Related

Thompson left without local transit after Greyhound pulls out

Four bus companies approved to serve Okanagan as Greyhound leaves

Alberta long-haul bus approved as Greyhound Canada ends B.C. service

The company says its new facility in Edmonton will handle passenger and freight traffic and service its new fleet of 18 buses.

Cold Shot says its buses are smaller and less expensive to operate, which allows the company to offer lower rates for passenger and freight customers.

The company plans to increase its bus fleet to 35 by April 2019.

Cold Shot is an Alberta-owned company that’s been in operation since 2005.

This summer, and citing financial difficulties, Greyhound announced that it would be abandoning all but one of its routes in Western Canada, effective Oct. 31.

The venerable national motor coach operator is being replaced by a mix of provincial government-subsidized services, Indigenous-owned bus lines, locally owned startups, flexible fleets of shuttle buses and a scattering of formal and informal ride-sharing services.

In Alberta, the provincial government has launched pilot programs at a cost of $2.8 million to help five rural municipalities start inter-city bus services. One, centred on Camrose, about 100 kilometres south of Edmonton, has already started and the others are expected to begin over the next three months.

Regina-based Rider Express has acquired five full-sized 50-seat buses and plans to begin passenger service on a Vancouver-Calgary-Winnipeg route on the Trans-Canada Highway this week, followed in November by a Highway 16 route linking Edmonton and Saskatoon, said manager Shauna Hardy. Both routes will directly replace Greyhound routes.

Late last May, Calgary-based Pacific Western Transportation was hired by the province of British Columbia to operate its BC Bus North service after Greyhound cancelled service to communities including Prince Rupert and Dawson Creek.

Cold Shot will be providing more details about its new services on Wednesday morning.

— With files from The Canadian Press 

— More to come…

Source: Read Full Article

Lower Sackville business robbed of cigarettes, lottery tickets and cash

Police are investigating after a business in Lower Sackville was robbed early Sunday morning.

Halifax District RCMP say the break-in along Sackville Drive happened sometime between 2 a.m. and 5:45 a.m.

Police say those responsible took a large quantity of cigarettes, lottery tickets and cash.

The investigation is being led by the general investigation section of the Integrated Criminal Investigation Division, with assistance from the RCMP Forensic Identification Section.

Anyone with information on the robbery or the suspects is asked to contact Halifax District RCMP or Crime Stoppers.

Source: Read Full Article

Vancouver Whitecaps looking to solve ‘culture problem’ in off season: GM

VANCOUVER – Problems in the Vancouver Whitecaps‘ locker room this season spilled into the team’s on-field performance, say players and the club’s general manager.

The comments come as the team’s captain confirmed on Tuesday that he’s looking to leave the organization.

“I want to leave, I’m not going to change my mind,” Kendall Waston said.

The 30-year-old defender is under contract with the Whitecaps but said his agent will work out a deal that will get him out of Vancouver.

Waston said he’s been loyal to the Whitecaps since joining the club in 2014, but moving on is the best decision for his family.

His comments come after Waston publicly disagreed with the dismissal of head coach Carl Robinson in September.

On Tuesday, the team’s captain said he understands that the move was a business decision, but he “doesn’t like two-faced people.”

He declined to comment on who, specifically, he was referring to.

“If I don’t trust, I better walk away,” Waston said.

The Costa Rican international said he’s been looking at opportunities with other clubs but declined to name specific teams or leagues.

The market for Waston will likely be strong based in part on his recent performances in international matches, said Whitecaps general manager Bob Lenarduzzi.

Waston scored for Costa Rica in this year’s World Cup, and has 14 goals and four assists in 114 regular-season games in Vancouver.

The organization isn’t willing to sell the defender at a loss, Lenarduzzi said.

“In spite of the fact that he wants to leave, he won’t be leaving for anything less than what the market value is,” he said.

“It’s not going to be a fire sale.”

The situation with Waston tops a difficult season for the Whitecaps, who missed the playoffs after finishing eighth in MLS’s Western Conference with a 13-13-8 record.

Lenarduzzi said issues in the locker room caused problems on the field.

“We have a culture problem. There’s no doubt about it,” he said.

Veteran midfielder Russell Teibert said there was a “divide” in the locker room. He did not name any players specifically.

“There has been a lack of respect for the jersey in this season,” Teibert said. “And that can’t happen anymore. Going forward into 2019, you have to respect this jersey and this club.”

There were “cliques” in the Whitecaps locker room, said goalie Stefan Marinovic. He added that he’s heard from other players that the issue is prevalent across MLS.

“It became difficult because we weren’t doing too well and it became more apparent,” Marinovic said.

“When the going got tough, players didn’t come together as we should have.”

Defender Doneil Henry said some players seemed at times to be working for themselves instead of the organization.

“I think when you play for a team, you have to have something that drives you to want to win and build instead of your own personal desires,” he said. “Personal success kind of comes from what’s done within the team. They kind of go hand in hand.”

The coaching upheaval near the end of the season didn’t help with the locker room issues, said Henry.

“We’re professionals. We need to go about our business professionally and I don’t think everybody did that,” he said. “I think certain things kind of escalated and took from the team. We don’t want any situation that’s bigger than the team.”

At least one player said he was dealing with personal issues throughout the season.

Midfielder Felipe Martins was visibly emotional as he spoke Tuesday about the difficulty his children had transitioning to life in Vancouver. The family also dealt with the deaths of loved ones and with harsh messages on social media, he said.

The Brazilian national said people may not like him but they can’t question his effort.

“Every time I stepped on the field, I tried to honour the jersey, the club the best way I could,” he said.

Despite the issues the Whitecaps faced this season, Lenarduzzi said he’s excited about the club’s future, pointing in part to talented young players coming through the organization’s development system.

The team’s leading scorer, striker Kei Kamara, said he’d like to come back to Vancouver and will be waiting for his phone to ring in the off season.

“Definitely Vancouver is top of my list of places where I want to play next season,” said Kamara, who registered 14 goals and six assists this year.

There are spots to be filled and the club is willing to dole out cash for some designated players, but who will be on next year’s squad will be up to the incoming coach, Lenarduzzi added.

The club has had interest in the coaching job from several people who are “well known” in the soccer world and the role should be filled in a “couple of weeks,” he said.

“We may have taken a step backwards this year but we’re not far off from getting back on track,” Lenarduzzi said.

Source: Read Full Article

Manitoba police watchdog investigating death of Winnipeg man while being cuffed

The death of a 41-year-old man following his arrest by Winnipeg police is under investigation by the Independent Investigation Unit.

In the early hours of Thursday morning, police responded to a disturbance near an east-Winnipeg CN rail line.

As the suspect causing the disturbance was being cuffed, police say he became unresponsive.

The man was taken to Concordia Hopsital and pronounced dead on Friday. The cause of death is currently unknown.

Because this incident involved a fatality, the IIU is investigating. They’re asking anyone with information or video footage that might help in the investigation to call 1-844-667-6060.


Source: Read Full Article

Saskatoon students help meteorologist deliver Halloween forecast

Meteorologist Peter Quinlan made a stop Tuesday at St. Mary’s Wellness and Education Centre in Saskatoon to visit Grade 4 and 5 students who have been busy studying the skies.

The class learned about how much snow Saskatoon normally has on the ground for Halloween and also got to share some personal stories about encounters with tornadoes.

A few students talked about their favourite weather for trick-or-treating after helping Peter deliver the Halloween forecast.

If you would like to setup a SkyTracker weather school visit, please email [email protected]

For weather on the go, download the Global News SkyTracker weather app for iPhone, iPad or Android.

Related

École Holy Mary Catholic School students in awe over fall leaf transformations

Source: Read Full Article

Police investigating after baseball diamond in Huntsville damaged

Police are investigating after a baseball diamond in Huntsville was damaged.

According to Huntsville OPP, on Oct. 16, officers received a report that significant damage was done to the baseball diamond on William Street.

Police say sometime between 4 p.m. on Oct. 15, and 7:30 a.m. on Oct. 16, unknown culprits drove through a gap in the fence and onto the baseball diamond tearing up a significant amount of the turf.

Officers say their investigation has revealed there were two vehicles involved in the incident. Police say one of the vehicles involved is possibly a pickup truck, the other is likely a smaller sedan or SUV.

According to police, the damage is estimated at around $3,000.

Officers say the investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Source: Read Full Article

90-year-old Toronto man dies in hospital after being struck by car

Toronto police say a 90-year-old man who was hit by a car while riding his scooter earlier this month has died in hospital.

Police said just after 12:15 p.m. on Oct. 18, the man was crossing mid-block on Ossington Avenue north of Northumberland Street when a BMW M3 being driven by a 30-year-old man struck the victim.

The man, who hasn’t been identified, was taken to hospital in serious condition. He died on Monday from his injuries.

Officers said the investigation is still ongoing and charges haven’t been laid.

Anyone with information or video footage of the collision is asked to call police at 416-808-1900 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477.

Source: Read Full Article