Politics

Trump says he did not send message to Tehran warning of attack

WASHINGTON, June 23 (Reuters) – President Donald Trump told NBC News on Sunday that he did not send a message to Tehran warning Iran of a U.S. attack, which he later called off.

Iranian sources told Reuters that Trump had warned Tehran via Oman that a U.S. attack was imminent, but had said he was against war and wanted talks.

RELATED: Trump pulls out of Iran nuclear deal

8 PHOTOSTrump pulls US from Iran nuclear dealSee GalleryTrump pulls US from Iran nuclear dealUS President Donald Trump signs a document reinstating sanctions against Iran after announcing the US withdrawal from the Iran Nuclear deal, in the Diplomatic Reception Room at the White House in Washington, DC, on May 8, 2018. (Photo by SAUL LOEB / AFP)(Photo credit should read SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images)U.S. President Donald Trump announces his intention to withdraw from the JCPOA Iran nuclear agreement during a statement in the Diplomatic Room at the White House in Washington, U.S., May 8, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan ErnstUS President Donald Trump signs a document reinstating sanctions against Iran after announcing the US withdrawal from the Iran Nuclear deal, in the Diplomatic Reception Room at the White House in Washington, DC, on May 8, 2018. (Photo by SAUL LOEB / AFP)(Photo credit should read SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images)U.S. President Donald Trump announces his intention to withdraw from the JCPOA Iran nuclear agreement during a statement in the Diplomatic Room at the White House in Washington, U.S., May 8, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan ErnstU.S. President Donald Trump reacts to a question from the media after announcing his intention to withdraw from the JCPOA Iran nuclear agreement during a statement in the Diplomatic Room at the White House in Washington, U.S., May 8, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan ErnstU.S. President Donald Trump announces his intent to withdraw from the JCPOA Iran nuclear agreement in the Diplomatic Room at the White House in Washington, U.S., May 8, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan ErnstWASHINGTON, DC – MAY 08:U.S. President Donald Trump holds up a memorandum that re-instates sanctions on Iran after he announced his decision to withdraw the United States from the 2015 Iran nuclear deal in the Diplomatic Room at the White House May 8, 2018 in Washington, DC. After two and a half years of negotiations, Iran agreed in 2015 to end its nuclear program in exchange for Western countries, including the United States, lifting decades of economic sanctions. Since then international inspectors have not found any violations of the terms by Iran.(Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)US President Donald Trump announces his decision on the Iran nuclear deal in the Diplomatic Reception Room at the White House in Washington, DC, on May 8, 2018. (Photo by SAUL LOEB / AFP)(Photo credit should read SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images)Up Next

See Gallery

“I did not send that message,” Trump said on NBC’s Meet the Press program, adding, “I’m not looking for war.”

Asked what he thinks Iran wants, he said, “I think they want to negotiate. And I think they want to make a deal. And my deal is nuclear. Look, they’re not going to have a nuclear weapon … I don’t think they like the position they’re in. Their economy is, is absolutely broken.” (Reporting by Kevin Drawbaugh Editing by Phil Berlowitz)

Source: Read Full Article