A 3-Month-Old Baby Was Found Dead Near a Bronx Expressway

The police arrested the parents of a 3-month-old girl who was found dead in the woods near a Bronx highway on Sunday night.

The baby, whom the police identified as Genevieve Comager, was pronounced dead at the scene, a wooded, trash-strewn area near West 161st Street and the Major Deegan Expressway, the police said.

Genevieve’s father, Damion Comager, 23, was arrested on Monday night and charged with murder, manslaughter and concealment of a human corpse. The baby’s mother, Ivana Paolozzi, 20, was also arrested and charged with concealment of a human corpse and obstructing governmental administration, according to the police.

A spokeswoman for the medical examiner’s office said the cause of the baby’s death was still under investigation on Monday evening.

The discovery was made after a relative who was concerned about the baby called the city’s Administration for Children’s Services, a law enforcement official said. The police found the baby’s body at about 8:24 p.m.

The baby’s last address was a shelter on University Avenue in the Bronx, according to the police.

Zukhra Abdullayeva, 29, has been living in the shelter since December and did not know the family, but she said there had been no trouble in the shelter since she moved there. Ms. Abdullayeva, who is a mother herself, began crying when she learned of the baby’s death.

“It’s horrible,” she said.

It was the second time in a week that the police in the Bronx had arrested a parent after the death of a child. On Sunday, the police said the mother of a 6-year-old girl who died last week had been charged with endangering the welfare of her two surviving children.

Lynija Eason, 26, has not been charged in the death of the 6-year-old, Jalayah Eason, whom police found unresponsive in her Bronx apartment on Friday with bruises on her wrists and torso. But Ms. Eason’s two other children, an 8-year-old boy and a 3-year-old girl, were removed from the home, according to a law enforcement official.

Ms. Eason was charged with two counts of child endangerment, the police said.

The medical examiner’s office was also still investigating the cause of Jalayah’s death on Monday, said Julie Bolcer, a spokeswoman for the office.

Nancy Wartik contributed reporting.

Maria Cramer is a reporter on the Metro desk. Please send her tips, questions and complaints about the New York police and crime at [email protected]. @NYTimesCramer

Source: Read Full Article