Americas

Canadian government secures visas for members of Barho family, arriving in Canada on Monday

Several family members of Syrian refugees who lost seven of their children in a tragic fire last week are expected to arrive in Canada on Monday, the MP for the riding of Halifax has confirmed.

Andy Filmore said in a press release on Monday that he, along with the Minister of Immigration Ahmed Hussein, the Hants East Assisting Refugees Team (HEART Society) and several other community groups were able to secure visas for the family of Kawthar Barho and Ebraheim Barho over the weekend.

“In difficult times, it is family that brings the greatest comfort,” Fillmore said in a statement.

“Following the tragic events on Quartz Drive last week, Kawthar has asked that members of her family be brought to Canada to support her.”

Seven children including; Ahmad, 14; Rola, 12; Mohamad, 9; Ola, 8; Hala, 3; Rana, 2 and Abdullah, who was born in Canada last year — died in the fire, which ripped through the home on Quartz Drive in Spryfield not long after midnight on Feb. 19.

The Barho family arrived in Nova Scotia in September 2017 as refugees from war-torn Syria, among 1,795 Syrian refugees who have come to Nova Scotia in recent years.

The family had initially lived in the East Hants area, but moved to the home on Quartz Drive last fall. The Barhos were planning to return to East Hants and were planning to move this week.

Fillmore says that Kawthar and HEART Society have appreciated the outpouring of love and support from the community of Halifax this past week.

“However, they have requested that their privacy be respected at this time. We will not be providing additional information about the incoming family members, and we ask that the media respect this decision,” he wrote.

Source: Read Full Article