Americas

New White House rules for reporters as it restores Jim Acosta's pass

According to a letter sent to Mr Acosta, reporters will now only be allowed one question each if called on at future news conferences and are only allowed to ask follow-up questions at the discretion of the US leader.

Guidelines state journalists are compelled to physically surrender microphones if Mr Trump has not granted a follow-up question.

Failure to abide by the new guidelines could result in reporters losing their passes.

It comes after the White House previously accused Mr Acosta of manhandling an intern who tried to take his microphone away as he questioned Donald Trump during a heated news conference. He was subsequently banned from the White House.

Mr Trump’s administration warned his credentials could be pulled again if he failed to adhere to the new guidelines for journalists.

White House communications director Bill Shine and press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders wrote the letter to the reporter, saying they would be forced to reconsider his access “if unprofessional behaviour occurs”.

After plans to permanently ban Mr Acosta were put on hold, CNN dropped its lawsuit against the White House.

“Thanks to everyone for their support,” tweeted Mr Acosta. “As I said last Friday… let’s get back to work.”

Following the heated exchange between Mr Trump and the reporter, Ms Sanders was accused of sharing a video doctored to make the journalist appear more aggressive during the news conference.

CNN later argued the White House revoking Mr Acosta’s credentials violated the constitutional right to freedom of the press and that he had been denied due process.

Last Friday, District Court Judge Timothy Kelly cited the due process argument as he granted the correspondent a two-week injunction to return to work.

Initially, the White House said it would keep Mr Acosta away from its news conferences after the two weeks were up but soon changed its direction.

“The view from here is that White House interaction with the press is, and generally should be, subject to kind of a natural give and take,” wrote Mr Shine and Ms Sanders.

“President Trump believes strongly in the First Amendment and interacts with the press in just such a way. It would be a great loss for all if, instead of this give-and-take, and instead of relying on the professionalism of White House journalists, we were compelled to devise a lengthy and detailed code of conduct.”

Source: Read Full Article