Toddlers suffered painful, slow death in hot car after mum abandoned them

A mum who left her two toddlers to die in a hot car while she partied and smoked marijuana has been jailed for 40 years.

Amanda Hawkins, 19, left toddlers Addyson Overgard-Eddy, two, and Brynn Hawkins, one, inside the sweltering car for 15 hours without food or water.

Ignoring their cries for help, she spent the night at a friend’s house in Kerr County, Texas.

When someone heard the girls crying and asked Hawkins if they should be brought inside, she responded "No, they’ll cry themselves to sleep," according to reports.

By the time she went back to the car to get her children the following afternoon on June 7, 2017, they had collapsed unconscious in 33C heat.

But instead of taking them to hospital straight away, the mum gave them a bath and dressed them in a different set of clothes.

They were eventually taken to hospital on June 8 but tragically died on June 8 last year, according to Fox 29.

In September, Hawkins pleaded guilty to two counts of reckless injury to a child and two counts of abandoning or endangering a child.

She initially tried to cover up her neglect by telling doctors they passed out after smelling flowers at a local park.

Witnesses testified that she’d said they’d become ‘stumbly’ and ‘red’ after sniffing the flowers.

But it was later found that the mum had left her girls in a vehicle while she smoked marijuana in a shed.

A judge handed Hawkins four 20 year sentences, with two sets of them running concurrently.

Hill County Breaking News reports that before sentencing, Hawkins made a statement saying: “I will accept whatever the punishment may be,” and that “there are no excuses for what I did.”

Kerr County Sheriff Hierholzer previously said in a statement: “This is by far the most horrific case of child endangerment that I have seen in the 37 years that I have been in law enforcement."

Kevin Franke, 16 at the time, slept in the car with the girls because he didn’t want to sleep in the shed, but said he was unaware they were there, the Daily Mail reports.

The now-18-year-old pleaded not guilty in April to two counts of manslaughter, two counts of injury to a child and two counts of child endangerment. He will go on trial in January.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • UK weather forecast: FLOOD alerts
  • ‘CIA agent’ bigamist husband had 3 wives
  • Doorman ‘fractures teen’s shoulder’
  • Family home destroyed by lights

Source: Read Full Article