SINGAPORE – One of the new community coronavirus patients announced by the Ministry of Health (MOH) on Friday night (July 10) is a Secondary 1 student from Jurong West Secondary School and linked to a previously confirmed case from the school.
The Ministry of Education (MOE) said on Saturday evening that the latest case, a 13-year-old girl, is linked to another Secondary 1 student, a 13-year-old boy who was announced by MOH on Tuesday as a coronavirus patient.
Both students are Singaporeans.
The girl was last in school on July 3 and was well, said MOE, adding that she still does not show any symptoms.
Since she was a close contact of her schoolmate who was confirmed to be infected, she has been serving a home quarantine order by MOH since Monday.
As part of MOH’s expanded testing regime, she was swabbed and tested positive for the virus.
About 70 students and staff who are the remaining close contacts of the infected 13-year-old boy from the same school tested negative for Covid-19.
The school has been cleaned and disinfected several times since the last weekend, said MOE, with more disinfection and cleaning of the premises being done on Saturday.
Due to the latest case from the school, MOH will also issue home quarantine orders to another six students and four staff members.
The school had placed all Secondary 1 students on home-based learning on Wednesday and Thursday, pending the outcome of MOH’s investigations.
As an added precaution, the home-based learning period for Secondary 1 students will be extended until next week before the start of the one-week mid-term break.
“This allows Secondary 1 classes to continue uninterrupted with lessons from their own teachers despite being on home quarantine orders,” said MOE. “All other levels will resume classes in school (next) Monday as per normal.”
Source: Read Full Article