Europe

A star student died from ‘fatal drug cocktail’ on first night of uni

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The A* student, 18, who was studying for an urban planning and architecture degree at Newcastle University, died from the effects of alcohol and ketamine, pathologist Dr Nigel Cooper said yesterday.

Newcastle Coroner’s Court heard Jeni’s body was found at 5.30am on October 3, 2020.

Fellow student Kavir Kalliecharan, 19, who took drugs with Jeni, had told magistrates he passed out, then awoke to find her collapsed.

Despite drugs and paraphernalia being found in his room, Kalliecharan, of Leeds, insisted Jeni had obtained the substances they took. He received a conditional discharge in June after admitting possessing MDMA, ketamine and cannabis.

The inquest heard Jeni, of Newtonhamilton, in Co Armagh, had 197mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood – about two and-a-half times over the legal limit for driving.

Dr Cooper said: “She had been with other occupants of her flat on that evening, alcohol had been consumed and there were indications other substances may have been taken as well.”

He said Jeni died from the effects of the drink and drugs, which were likely to have severely depressed her nervous system.

Jeni’s mother, Sandra, said her daughter was a trained classical singer and a cadet force leader and deputy head girl at Royal Armagh Grammar School.

She said: “Her death has left a huge void that will never be filled.”

The inquest continues.

Source: Read Full Article