Europe

At least 56 killed and 30 wounded in Tigray airstrike on refugee camp

At least 56 people have been killed in an air strike on a refugee camp in Ethiopia’s northern region of Tigray, it has been reported.

Two aid workers told Reuters at least 30 others have been injured, citing local authorities and eyewitness accounts.

They sent the news agency pictures they had taken of the wounded in hospital, including many children.

The government has previously denied targeting civilians in the 14-month conflict with rebellious Tigrayan forces.

Military spokesman Colonel Getnet Adane and government spokesman Legesse Tulu did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The aid workers, who asked not to be named as they are not authorised to speak to the media, said the number of dead was confirmed by the local authorities.

The strike hit the camp in the town of Dedebit in the northwest of the region, near the border with Eritrea, they said.

One of them, who visited Shire Shul General Hospital where the injured were brought for treatment, said the camp hosts many old women and children.

The aid worker added: ‘They told me the bombs came at midnight. It was completely dark and they couldn’t escape.’

Ethiopian federal troops went to war with rebellious Tigrayan forces in November 2020.

Before the latest strike, at least 146 people have been killed and 213 injured in air strikes in Tigray since October 18, according to a document prepared by aid agencies and shared with Reuters.

This is a breaking news story, more to follow soon… Check back shortly for further updates.

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. 

You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

Source: Read Full Article