Europe

Bloody Sunday murder prosecution of Soldier F to resume next week

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The High Court in Belfast earlier this year overruled a decision by the Public Prosecution Service to drop charges against the former soldier.

It has since rejected a bid from the same body to have its appeal referred to the UK’s highest court.

The Northern Ireland’s Public Prosecution Service has now announced that the trail will resume later this month.

Journalist Peter Hitchens previously described the trial of ‘Solider F’ as “the final proof that the IRA won”.

“So the Crown, the symbol of British authority which adorns every courthouse and prison (and every embassy abroad), and is to be found on the cap-badge of every police officer and all service personnel, has already been abolished in Northern Ireland.”

‘Solider F’ is being prosecuted for the murders of James Wray and William McKinney.

William McKinney’s brother, Mickey, has celebrated the news that the prosecution is set to resume.

“We hope that the PPS secure an early date for the resumption of the committal proceedings and that Soldier F is returned for trial to the Crown Court without further delay.

“We hope to meet with the PPS to discuss the future progress of the case in the coming weeks.”

DON’T MISS:
Hated Brexit deal ‘could shatter UK’ [OPINION]
Farage blasts those blaming conflict in Ukraine for inflation [NEWS]
Britons blast Tories and Labour who are ‘as bad as each other’ [OPINION]

Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions Michael Agnew told reporters he had written to the representatives of the families involved in the case to confirm the PPS’s decision.

He said: “We have offered to meet with the families to answer any questions they may have and to outline the next steps to be taken to progress the case. Soldier F’s legal representatives have also been informed.

“I am very conscious of the upset caused to the Bloody Sunday families by the PPS decision to withdraw proceedings against Soldier F last year. It is our role to keep under review the evidence presented in every case.

“This case has presented difficult and complex legal issues for prosecutors, as was acknowledged by the Divisional Court. The PPS is committed to progressing court proceedings against Soldier F without any further delay.”

Source: Read Full Article