Boy, 11, ‘left lying injured in the road for three hours’ after being hit by car

A mum claims that her 11-year-old son was left injured in the middle of the road in Hull for three hours before an ambulance arrived after a car collision. 

Leo Bell, from Hull, was crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing to get to a local shop when a car “failed to spot him”, smashing into him and “throwing” him across the road where he landed on his head, his mum Lisa says. 

Leo sustained severe injuries, including a broken knee, facial injuries, and whiplash, making it unsafe to transport him to the hospital by normal means.

Lisa claims Leo was hit at around 7.15pm but the ambulance didn’t arrive until around 10.20pm, leaving Leo injured on the wet road for three hours.

Don’t miss… Screaming woman escapes being grabbed in Asda before she is thrown into van

Lisa told HullLive: “On Saturday evening at around 7.15pm, Leo wanted some grapes from the shop. From our house, I watched him cross the little road near us and went back inside before he reached the crossings on Hessle Road.

“Then all of a sudden, our dog just started going crazy and I saw a woman walking into my drive. I instantly knew something had happened and rushed over to see Leo unconscious and surrounded by people on the road.

“He woke up and started screaming straight after I got there and a woman got out of her car and said she didn’t see him. He had cuts and bruises all over him and he’d landed on his head.

“His face and the back and sides of his head were cut and bleeding and he thought he was paralysed. The police came shortly after and closed off the road.”

Don’t miss…
Salman Rushdie ‘may never speak’ at public events again after knife attack[INSIGHT]
Woman puts serial rapist in jail after Met dropped the case[LATEST]
Our society has failed to break the cycle of teenage violence – STEVE CHALKE[OPINION]

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

During the hours that followed, Lisa, people at the scene, and supposedly the police contacted the Yorkshire Ambulance Service to inquire about the arrival time of an ambulance.

However, the ambulance did not arrive until 10.20 pm. Fortunately, nearby there was an off-duty paramedic with a first aid kit in her car and a nurse who stopped to help provide immediate assistance. 

The police provided a foil blanket, and the local shops and neighbours offered drinks and supplies to support the injured boy.

Lisa added: “It had been raining that day and the road was still wet. I kept asking if we could just take him to hospital in the car because it was horrible seeing him laid in the road like that.

“But his head injuries and neck pain meant it was too unsafe to move him ourselves.

“Finally at around 10.20pm, an ambulance and paramedics arrived. They were absolutely brilliant and couldn’t apologise enough for taking so long but I was so scared that he wasn’t going to be okay.”

Once the ambulance arrived, Leo was taken to the hospital where he underwent a brain scan and X-rays. Initially, doctors believed he had not suffered any broken bones, but later it was discovered that he had broken his kneecap and fingers.

Leo also sustained serious facial injuries and scarring to his lip. His leg was put in a cast, and he now requires a wheelchair.

The police have launched an investigation into the incident, and CCTV footage is being examined.

“We are so lucky that he wasn’t worse off,” Lisa said. “He was thrown so far across the road, it shocked doctors that there wasn’t a worse outcome.

“Police collected CCTV and have launched an investigation into the incident. The bushes near the crossing have since been cut back and it looks like new lighting has been put up in the area.”

“Now, we are slowly getting there but Leo is going to be traumatised for a long time. His injuries will get better but it’s his mental state that I’m worried about.”

A Humberside Police spokesperson said:  “Officers are appealing for information following a road traffic collision on Hessle Road in Hull on Saturday 8 July. We were called to reports that a car and pedestrian had been in collision at around 7.30pm.

“A boy, aged 11 was taken to hospital to receive medical treatment for serious injuries. We would appeal to anyone who was in the area around the time of the collision, or anyone who has CCTV or dashcam footage that may assist with our enquires to please contact us on our non-emergency number 101 quoting log 525 8 July.”

Source: Read Full Article