Europe

Boy, 4, ‘screams in pain’ as 89p Home Bargains bath foam ‘engulfs him in ball of flames’

Liverpool: Partial building collapse on Anfield Road

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Jonathan Beddard told the Liverpool Echo that the bath foam created a “fireball” and burnt his son Oscar. The “children’s mouldable bath foam” came into contact with a candle near where Oscar was bathing.

Mr Beddard said: “The foam has caught the candle and then basically engulfed Oscar in a ball of flames from body to head.

“I had just nipped out to the shop and was literally down the road when I got a call saying, ‘Oscar’s bath has set on fire, it’s that foam.”

Mr Beddard continued that Oscar’s mum, Nicola, 43, had been watching Oscar in the bath when the foam ignited.

He added: “We just had to keep dabbing him with cold water and towels while he was just sat there screaming in pain.”

Oscar was quickly taken to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, where he stayed for a week to treat the burns he received in the fire.

His family had feared that Oscar would need a skin graft to help him recover from his burns, but they have healed better than doctors first predicted.

The trauma has left more than just physical scars on the family.

Mr Beddard said: “It has affected him mentally, he’s not had a bath since, and he’s got more of a temper since it happened.”

Mr Beddard, 31, recalls that he bought the “children’s mouldable bath foam” from the Home Bargains branch in Earlestown.

The family are now considering potential legal action against the high-street shop.

Home Bargains did not respond to requests for comments from the Liverpool Echo, citing ongoing legal reasons.

The family are reportedly in touch with a law firm regarding the incident.

DON’T MISS: 
Royal Family LIVE: Kate and William ‘anxious’ over Harry and Meghan [LIVE] 
Remoaner outcry torn apart as inflation surges across EU [REACTION]
The 10 most dangerous places to live and work in England MAPPED [MAP]

There are claims that there was not sufficient warning that the product was extremely flammable.

However, Mr Beddard told the Echo that on the back of the product’s packaging there was a “little flammable sign.”

Mr Beddard is now running the Manchester 10K to raise money for Ronald McDonald house.

The charity provides accommodation for family members of those being treated at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, and is where Nicola and Jonathan stayed whilst Oscar was a patient.

You can find a link to Jonathan Beddard’s charity run here.

Source: Read Full Article