Europe

Boy racers who injured 19 people after crashing into crowd are jailed

Two boy racers who injured 19 people when they crashed at a car meet in Hertfordshire have been jailed. 

Dominic Brown, 21 and Julian Castana-Perez, 19, were sentenced to five years and four years behind bars respectively following an appearance at St Albans Crown Court on Friday. 

Video footage from the July 2019 event shows the two teens colliding in their cars before veering into crowds at the Roaring Meg Retail Park in Stevenage. 

People can be heard shouting ‘no’ and ‘stay back’ before scores of spectators are seen wounded and lying on the ground. 

Detective Sergeant James Thorne said: ‘This kind of irresponsible behaviour always puts lives at risk and it was incredible that no one was killed as a result of the events of that night.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a webbrowser thatsupports HTML5video

‘I hope this sentence sends a clear message to those that think it is acceptable to drive at speed/race and show off their motor vehicles in this way, the consequences of such irresponsible behaviour and that we will pursue the severest penalty.’

The event, held on Monkswood Way, had been organised by Cruise-Herts.

The company distanced themselves from the incident at the time, saying it was a charity event for bereaved parents and denied that they were boy racers. 

It vowed to never hold another car meet up. 

Brown and Castana-Perez both admitted eight offences of serious injury by dangerous driving and 11 offences for wanton/furious driving ahead of their court appearance last week. 

Brown has been banned from driving for seven-and-a-half years and Castano-Perez for seven years and four months. 

Chief Inspector for Stevenage Simon Tabert said there had been lots of work done to ensure similar events have not taken place since.



He said: ‘Much work has been done in conjunction with Stevenage Borough Council to make sure this horrific event will never be repeated.

‘The council now has an injunction in place that will provide police with powers to prevent the kind of activity that caused the accident and we are working with them to enforce this legislation.’

Immediately after the incident, spokesman for Cruise-Herts Rix Sidhu said: ‘We organise static meet-ups. We park up and walk about and admire the cars, we’ve even had families come in the past. We’ve been doing this for 10 years.

‘We saw the [Toyota] come into the car park and recklessly do a donut manoeuvre.

‘It pulled out of the car park on to the main road and then it was hit by the Nissan, which was coming at speed. I’d say at least 60 or 70mph.

‘I was walking down the main road to meet up with some friends and then I saw it happen.

‘The cars collided and then went into the crowd at speed. There were several younger people in the crowd, but they weren’t kids. They were about 18 years old-plus.’

He said organisers had taken the decision to cancel all further meets.

He added: ‘Some people like drinking and that sort of thing, we just like cars. They are our pride and joy, what we are interested in.

‘Unfortunately this incident means we are all going to be tarred with the same brush – people will say we are boy racers.

‘But we’ve decided we’re not going to run these any more. After 17 years, it’s over.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source: Read Full Article