Prince Charles won’t ‘inherit’ Queen’s respect says expert
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
This comes after Prince Harry claimed on Sunday he had raised “concerns” about Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz, the Saudi tycoon at the centre of a probe into donations to his father’s charity. The Prince made the statement after it was reported that he took a £50,000 donation for his Sentebale charity from Mr Mahfouz in 2013.
The comments, seen to be a dig at his father, saw Prince Harry state that he had cut ties with Mr Mahfouz because of “concerns over his motives”, adding that he had no involvement in what he called the “CBE scandal”.
A spokesperson for the Prince said: “The Duke and his advisors, as well as his nonprofit Sentebale, severed ties with Mr Mahfouz and his associates in 2015, no longer accepting further donations to Sentebale and discontinuing any plans for a fundraising event amid growing concerns over the motives for his support.
“The duke had one planned meeting with this donor nearly eight years ago, did not introduce him to any members of the royal family, and expressed his concerns about the donor.
“It is disappointing that The Sunday Times, knowing all the facts, has chosen to encourage speculation by being deliberately vague to try to create a falsified link between the Duke of Sussex and the CBE scandal, of which he had no knowledge or involvement.”
In response, a friend of the Prince of Wales said that the future king is “deeply shocked and disappointed” but is “keeping a dignified silence”, amid fears a public row could inflict damage on his future reign.
According to the source, the 73-year-old royal also faces a dilemma, as he “very much loves his son” and “will not be having a pop at Harry in return.”
Speaking to Sun they said: “Charles is deeply shocked and disappointed by Harry’s latest statement which effectively threw his father under the bus.
“There are fears that this episode with Mahfouz could even be a chapter in Harry’s autobiography.
LIVE UPDATES: Royal Family LIVE: ‘Utterly out of touch’ Harry told to ‘be quiet’
“This attack was more damaging than the swipe at Charles’s parenting skills because this was a challenge to the way he conducts his business which is far more damaging to the future King.
“There is no way for Charles to fight back and defend himself publicly so he keeps a dignified silence.”
They added: “These constant barbs about his father from America could be very damaging to his reign.
“Attempts have been made to clear the air but they have barely spoken since the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral.
William admits he head-bangs to AC/DC to get up for royal engagements [INSIGHT]
Boris warned northern voters ‘will learn’ from broken promises [ANALYSIS]
One million pensioners in ‘life or death’ crisis [REVEAL]
“Charles very much loves his son and he will not be having a pop at Harry in return.
“It’s that simple. He is not going to join in because loving his son is the thing that matters the most.”
The relationship between Prince Harry and his father has been on tenterhooks for months, but according to the source, it is now “at an all-time low”.
Previously, Harry had told a podcast in the US that he moved away from the UK to “break the cycle” of “pain” he suffered when he was growing up.
Speaking about his father, he said: “He treated me the way he was treated”, a comment also perceived to be a criticism of the Queen and Prince Philip.
The father and son are thought to have last spoken face-to-face at the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral eight months ago.
They did not meet in July when Prince Harry came to London for the unveiling of the statue of his mother.
Meanwhile, there have reportedly only been a few “fraught” phone calls between the two since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped back from royal duties.
According to the Times, the Duke of Sussex met with Mr Mahfouz in a pub in Chelsea, West London, after he gave £50,000 to his charity in 2013.
The Sentebale foundation has claimed that beyond the two donations “no other activity took place.”.
Months later, the Saudi billionaire donated £1.5million to Charles’s Prince’s Foundation and received an honorary CBE.
Source: Read Full Article