Europe

Coronavirus: Princess Beatrice cancels Buckingham Palace wedding reception

Princess Beatrice has cancelled her planned wedding reception in the Buckingham Palace Gardens because of the coronavirus.

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said Beatrice and her fiance, Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, are carefully considering government advice before deciding whether a private marriage might take place.

The couple are due to marry at the Chapel Royal, St James’s Palace, on Friday 29 May after they got engaged in Italy last September.

Buckingham Palace said in a statement on Wednesday: “Princess Beatrice and Mr Mapelli Mozzi are very much looking forward to getting married but are equally aware of the need to avoid undertaking any unnecessary risks in the current circumstances.

“In line with government advice for the UK and beyond, the couple are reviewing their arrangements for 29 May.

“They are particularly conscious of government advice in relation to both the wellbeing of older family members and large gatherings of people.

“Therefore, the planned reception in the Buckingham Palace Gardens will not take place.

“The couple will carefully consider government advice before deciding whether a private marriage might take place amongst a small group of family and friends.”

The announcement follows updated guidance from the government calling on people to stay away from pubs, clubs and theatres and to avoid all non-essential contacts and travel.

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases jumped by 676 to 2,626 on Wednesday, the biggest daily leap so far.

The total number of UK deaths to be announced stood at 72.

Source: Read Full Article