Couple died after being trapped in car for three days when police didn't respond

A young mother died after she was left conscious in a crashed car for three days alongside her partner who was also killed.

Despite the crash being reported to police, it took officers three days to respond and free the couple.

Police Scotland has admitted its failings ‘materially contributed’ to the death of Lamara Bell, who was still alive when they arrived on the scene.

The force pleaded guilty at the High Court in Edinburgh today to health and safety failings following the deaths of John Yuill, 28, and Ms Bell, 25, after their car crashed off the M9 near Stirling in July 2015.

When officers finally arrived at the scene, Mr Yuill was dead and Ms Bell, who was critically injured, died four days later in hospital.

The office of the Chief Constable of Police Scotland admitted that it failed to ensure that people including Mr Yuill and Ms Bell were not exposed to risks to their health and safety by failing to provide an ‘adequate and reliable call-handling system’ between April 1, 2013 and March 1, 2016.

It also failed to ensure the system was ‘not vulnerable to unacceptable risks arising from human error’ and to ensure that all relevant information reported by members of the public was recorded on a Police Scotland IT system so that it could be considered and a police response provided where appropriate.

The force admitted that as a result, members of the public were exposed to risks to their health and safety and, in particular on July 5, 2015, a police officer at the force call-handling centre at Bilston Glen Service Centre failed to record a phone call from a member of the public reporting that a vehicle was at the bottom of an embankment at the side of the eastbound junction nine slip road from the M80 on to the M9.

The indictment says the phone call was not recorded on any Police Scotland IT system and the failure went unnoticed with ‘no proper consideration of the report and no opportunity for an appropriate response from Police Scotland’.

The force admitted Ms Bell and Mr Yuill remained ‘unaided and exposed to the elements’ in the car between July 5 and 8, 2015 and that the failings ‘materially contributed’ to her death on July 12 that year at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow.

The force pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Sir Stephen House, who was chief constable at the time of the incident, stepped down from the role at the end of 2015 following controversy over the deaths.

This is a breaking news story, more to follow soon… Check back shortly for further updates.

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

Source: Read Full Article