Drone launched as police reignite search for lost Moors Murder victim

Skull found in hunt for Moors Murders victim Keith Bennett

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Police have deployed a drone in the hunt for the final victim of twisted killers Ian Brady and Myra Hindley. The fifth victim of Brady and Hindley, Keith Bennett, 12, had not been found since he disappeared on June 16, 1964, while on his way to see his grandmother in Chorlton-on-Medlock, Manchester. But that’s until an author discovered human remains in Saddleworth Moor, which was then identified as a “site of interest” last Friday by Greater Manchester Police. The force has remained on the moorland ever since in the hopes of finding the remains of the cruel murderers’ final victim. 

The murderers had buried their other victims in a similar area – with author Russell Edwards arguing the Nazi-loving Brady was creating a swastika symbol with them. Pictures from this morning show officers using a drone to carry out further searches in the area.

Mr Edwards claimed to have discovered part of a jaw bone, which be believes belonged to Keith. Numerous searches of the area have taken place over the years in an attempt to find Keith, whose burial location was never revealed by his killers. Brady died in 2017, and Hindley in 2002.

Greater Manchester Police said they are “committed” to conducting the search in “the most thorough way possible”.

Keith was just 12 when he was murdered after he was lured into a van by Myra Hindley, who asked him to help her with some boxes. Her lover and fellow killer Ian Brady was sat on the back seat, on June 16 1964.

Senior Investigating Officer Cheryl Hughes said on Saturday evening: “Following information received which indicated that potential human remains had been found on the Moors, specialist officers have today (1 October 2022) resumed excavation of a site identified to us.

“This information included photographs of the site and show what experts working with the informant have interpreted as a human jaw bone. No physical evidence of a jaw bone or skull has been examined.

“However, based on the photographs and information provided, and in line with GMP’s usual practice to follow-up any suggestion of human burial, we began our search of the site of interest. We have not found any identifiable human remains but our work to excavate the site is continuing.

“Conditions are difficult and it may take us some time to fully complete the excavation but we are committed to ensuring this is undertaken in the most thorough way possible.”

It will reportedly take a week to a fortnight to establish whether any remains are those of Keith.

Brady, who was born in Glasgow but later moved to Manchester, was jailed in 1966 for the murders of John Kilbride, aged 12, Lesley Ann Downey, 10, and Edward Evans, 17. In 1985, after being moved to a secure hospital, Brady also admitted murdering Keith and 16-year-old Pauline Reade.

The pair were caught after Hindley’s brother-in-law witnessed the murder of Edward and reported it to police, who found his body at Brady and Hindley’s shared home in Hyde, Greater Manchester. In 2009, police said a covert search operation, which used a wealth of scientific experts, had also failed to discover any trace of Keith.

DON’T MISS: Winnie refused to give up… she made plans for Keith’s funeral [REVEAL]
Moors Murders amateur sleuth ‘didn’t want to let Keith’s mum down’ [INSIGHT]
Nazi-obsessed Moors murderer Brady ‘attempted to create Swastika’ [ANALYSIS] 

Keith’s mother, Winnie Johnson, never gave up looking for her son but tragically she went to her grave without ever discovering the truth, Manchester Evening News reports.

Winnie, a mum-of-nine, said she was afraid to let her other children even go to school in case they disappeared. She said she hardly left the house for five years — and contemplated suicide.

“I blamed myself of course even though everyone told me it wasn’t my fault,” she said. Winnie turned her home in Fallowfield, into a shrine to her spectacle-wearing little boy.

Source: Read Full Article