Fire rips through family home after toddler turns on cooker

A young family had a lucky escape after a toddler accidentally switched on the hob on the cooker sparking a blaze that engulfed the home.

Little Enzo, who was just 20 months old, managed to turn on the electric cooker without anyone noticing after his mum returned from a shopping trip.

A pile of clothes from the retail spree that was temporarily left on what was a dormant hob suddenly caught fire causing flames and smoke to fill the kitchen.

Mum Tay Carter, 22, and her partner were quickly alerted by the heat of the inferno and safely got out of the front door with Enzo and their 15-week-old puppy.

After neighbours dialled 999 the fire service quickly arrived to extinguish the blaze.

READ MORE… Lioness reported on the loose outside major city sparking huge police search

The majority of the house in Snodland, Kent, was blackened and destroyed by flames on Monday, July 10, on the day before Tay’s birthday.

The devastated mum-of-one Tay Carter, 22, is warning other electric cooker owners to turn their appliances off at the wall and install fire extinguishers.

She said: “It just went up in flames, it was just a nightmare. We have an electric cooker so usually I’m quite on top of making sure Enzo is nowhere near it – on this day I was again, but I didn’t look close enough really.

“We went shopping as it was my birthday the day after, and as we got back I put everything on the cooker and I folded up washing and put that all on top of it just to get it out of the way.

“I’ve definitely learnt my lesson, 100 per cent. The cooker definitely needs to be turned off at the wall when you’re not using it and we’re definitely investing in some baby gates.

“Another thing is I would advise people to have fire extinguishers because I think if we’d had one it wouldn’t have been as bad, but because we had nothing to put the fire out it escalated quickly.”

Don’t miss…
Asda accused of profiteering from Ukraine war by over-charging drivers for fuel[LATEST]
Vladimir Putin employs ‘Dad’s Army’ to fight as he ups maximum age of recruits[LATEST]
Putin warned grain deal betrayal to backfire his fleet will be left exposed[LATEST]

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Tay said Enzo turned on all the heat rings on the hob which quickly caused the clothes to set alight.

She said: “Unfortunately, we did not have contents insurance, so I’m now having to buy everything again which is why my mother-in-law set up a GoFundMe page.

“I’ve now had a look into home insurance – the things you don’t think will happen to you can happen to you, I never in my life thought I’d be in a house fire.”

The family have been put up in a hotel until their home is sorted. She added: “As he can’t talk I can’t tell but I do think it’s affected his routine and the way he is, which is obviously putting another massive stress on me as I’m trying to make sure he’s okay.”

Source: Read Full Article