Europe

Firefighter rushed to hospital after ‘unacceptable’ Bonfire Night attack

COP26: Boris Johnson speaks at Glasgow summit

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The attack occurred in the early hours of Friday evening with the firefighter being one of three attacks on emergency service personnel. Martin Blundel, the chief officer of the Fire and Rescue Service in Scotland, begged the public not to attack firefighters “who are only doing their job”.

The location of the attack and the extent of the firefighters injuries are not yet known.

Mr Blundel said on Twitter: “Less than 2hrs in to Bonfire Night & 3 attacks so far with 1 of these requiring a visit to hospital.

“Please do not attack @fire_scot firefighters who are only doing their job.

“In fact, why attack any emergency service worker when we are here to protect you from harm?”

Bonfire Night often sees a higher number of firefighter callouts with the Scottish service responding to more than 500 bonfires over an eight hour period.

New legislation in Scotland bans the public from launching fireworks before 6pm and after 11pm.

However, this rule is relaxed on November 5 where fireworks can be set off until midnight.

Mr Blundel’s comments came in response to a twitter post from Scottish Fire and Rescue Service which condemned the attacks.

Deputy Assistant Chief Officer Alasdair Perry, the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service’s head of prevention and protection, wrote: “Our aim is to keep people safe by responding to emergencies.

“It’s unacceptable that anyone would choose to hamper those efforts.”

The twitter account for the Scottish Fire and Rescue service added: “Respect all emergency services personnel – especially tonight – they want to keep people safe.”

Due to Covid restrictions, many firework displays have been cancelled for the second consecutive year.

DON’T MISS: 
Spain faces calls to allow Brits more than 90 days [REVEAL]
Mother’s pain after man sexually abused 100 bodies [INSIGHT]
Caravan residents in ‘appalling conditions’ fear homelessness [SPOTLIGHT]

The Glasgow Bonfire Night celebration was one such cancelled event due to the ongoing COP26 summit taking place in the city.

Prior to the start of the festivities, DACO Perry said: “For the second year running Bonfire Night will be significantly different to previous years as some large scale public events across the country are being cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions, and in Glasgow due to the COP26 event.

“The service is well resourced and prepared for this annual period of celebrations that includes Halloween, Diwali and Bonfire Night, as well as this year COP26, and we have robust measures in place to ensure we can continue to respond to emergencies.

“There is no doubt that we welcome the continuing support of our communities – by following all available safety guidance from ourselves and our partners, they can help reduce the risk of harm wherever possible.

“What we’re asking this year is for the public to consider the risks of hosting a private event involving either fire or fireworks.

“Every year people are injured by bonfires and fireworks and admitted to hospital – and children are particularly at risk.”

Source: Read Full Article