Europe

Fury as £1m Cornish traveller site left in ‘complete mess’ with toilets covered in faeces

G7: The Red Arrows perform a flypast at summit in Cornwall

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The site, which opened in the summer of 2019 and cost around £1.75million to build, is located at South Treviddo near the A38 and can be used by gypsies and travellers for stays of up to three months a year.

The site charges a fee per week for caravan and other vehicles as well as a security deposit.

Groups are expected to sign and adhere to an agreement that outlines expected behaviour and a littering policy prior to their stay.

The level of damage is said to have disgusted Paul Patterson, who lives near the site.

He shared images of the destruction, referring to it with the comment: “They’ve left it a complete mess.”

Those responsible had broken an electric charging point, a toilet seat and left copious amounts of rubbish strewn about on the site which has been open for two years this month.

Mr Patterson, an interview with CornwallLive said the area has only been used a small number of times, and the site, located near Liskeard can accommodate up to 15 caravans at any one given time.

He believes the litter problem was caused by guests who had frequented the grounds recently.

He said: “There were three or four caravans there last week and now they have gone.

“But without their rubbish.”

Among items discarded around the amenities were food and plastic waste, clothing and a gas canister.

Damage was also caused to the bathroom facilities where the toilets were covered in faeces with more rubbish on the ground, and one of the toilet seats had been ripped off.

The site also helps Cornwall Council to guide gypsy and traveller families away from unauthorised encampments.

The designated grounds provide access to basic amenities for families, and the purpose-built site provides a secure environment for them to stay.

Mr Patterson said the damage caused was “not right”, and commented: “They pay to stay there and I’m not bothered about that. I have nothing against them going where they go, but it’s the load of rubbish they leave behind after.”

He also made reference to similar incidents occurring previously stating: “I live nearby and it’s not the first time.

DON’T MISS   
Fury as travellers use cricket club ‘as a toilet’ [PICTURES] 
Vaccinated travellers could no longer be exempt from quarantine [LATEST] 
Serious violence’ Travellers brawl at Appleby Horse Fair [REPORT] 

“I’ve been past before and they’ve even had bonfires there which shouldn’t be allowed. This time they’ve even damaged the electric port”.

Mr Patterson praised the group saying: “It’s a good lifestyle what they are doing.”

But he said it felt as though the rubbish they left behind seemed as though “they are rubbing people’s faces in it”.

He added that the clean-up work carried out by the council who are “picking up after them” is “not on”.

Cornwall Council were informed of the damage with a spokesperson saying they were handling the issue: “The Council is aware of the damage at the South Treviddo site and assessed the site on Friday to arrange repairs and a clean-up.”

The project is managed and maintained by Cornwall Housing but it has rarely been used since its creation.

It is believed that the site has not once operated at full capacity since the work was completed by Cormac Solutions Ltd two years ago.

A number of unauthorised camps have sprung up across Cornwall this summer, and all those staying are offered the opportunity to move to the South Treviddo transit site before any other action is taken.

However, in the past couple of weeks, some groups have already outright refused to move there.

Source: Read Full Article