Boris Johnson is facing a growing backlash after using Sunday’s daily press conference to defend Dominic Cummings.
The Prime Minister said he had ‘acted responsibly, legally and with integrity’ and that ‘any parent would frankly understand what he did’.
But Tory backbenchers tore into Mr Johnson over his handling of the row, while scientists claimed that the defence of Mr Cummings’ interpretation of the lockdown rules undermined efforts to curb the spread of coronavirus.
The PM’s top aide travelled to County Durham in March to self-isolate with his family while official guidelines warned against long-distance journeys, apparently because he feared that he and his wife would be left unable to care for their son.
Further reports also suggested he took a second trip to the North East in April, having already returned to London following his recovery from coronavirus – a disease which has seen more than 45,000 people in the UK die after contracting it, according to the latest available data.
Visit our live blog for the latest updates: Coronavirus news live
Mr Cummings denied the fresh allegations, which were reported by the Observer and the Sunday Mirror, and Mr Johnson declared he would be standing by Mr Cummings.
Veteran Conservative Sir Roger Gale said: ‘I’m very disappointed, I think it was an opportunity to put this to bed and I fear that now the story is simply going to run and run.’
Somerton and Frome MP David Warburton said he was ‘unconvinced’ by the PM’s defence of Mr Cummings.
Scientists advising the Government also strongly criticised the Prime Minister.
Social psychologist Professor Stephen Reicher, one of the scientists on the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Behaviours (SPI-B) – a subgroup of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), which is advising ministers through the crisis – said Mr Johnson had ‘trashed’ their advice.
But according to reports, the former Vote Leave campaign co-ordinator made a second trip to Durham and was seen there on April 19, five days after being photographed on his return to Westminster.
A second witness told the papers they saw him a week earlier in Barnard Castle on Easter Sunday, a popular tourist location 30 miles from Durham.
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer, said the decision to keep Mr Cummings on was ‘an insult to sacrifices made by the British people’.
‘This was a test of the Prime Minister and he has failed it,’ the Labour leader said.
Footage posted on social media showed Mr Cummings was heckled by a crowd of onlookers as he returned to his home in the capital, with those gathered calling him a ‘hypocrite’ and shouting ‘resign’.
A woman filming Mr Cummings on her phone told him: ‘I’m a single parent. I’ve had no childcare since the beginning of this whole mess, not that I can afford to pay any child care.’
Another shouted: ‘Would you recommend Barnard Castle for a day out?
Mr Cummings appeared not to respond.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Source: Read Full Article