George Floyd protest: Policeman shoots Louisville protestor dead attempting to clear crowd

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Police say they shot the man after coming under fire themselves, local media in Kentucky is reporting. Journalist Stephon Dingle, anchor for WLKY, said on Twitter: “BREAKING: Man shot and killed by law enforcement at 12:15am this morning. Louisville Police says shots fired at them first.”

He later added: “Louisville Police chief said officers were trying to clear a large crowd in parking lot before being fire upon.

“The chief said they are currently interviewing several persons of interests and will provide news update this afternoon. He took no questions from the press.”

Major U.S. cities feared another night of violent protests on Sunday over the death of George Floyd in police custody, cleaning up broken glass and burned out cars after curfews failed to stop confrontations between activists and law enforcement.

What began as peaceful demonstrations over the death of Floyd, who died as a white Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck, have become a wave of outrage sweeping a politically and racially divided nation.


Protesters have flooded streets after weeks of lockdowns during the coronavirus pandemic that threw millions out of work and hit minority communities especially hard.

As demonstrators broke windows and set fires, police fired rubber bullets and tear gas to disperse crowds in many cities.

In some cases, bystanders and members of the media were targeted.

In one video from Minneapolis, a National Guard Humvee rolls down a residential street followed by what appear to be police officers wearing tactical gear. 


An officer orders residents to go inside, then yells “light ’em up” before shooting projectiles at a group of people on their front porch.

The city’s curfew does not apply to residents outside on their private property.

In New York City, police arrested about 350 people overnight and 30 officers suffered minor injuries.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said police conduct was being investigated, including widely shared videos showing a police sports utility vehicle in Brooklyn lurching into a crowd of protesters who were pelting it with debris.

‘Mr President, don’t go hide!’ China mocks Trump over protests [REVEAL]
Donald Trump PRAISES National Guard against ‘Antifa-led anarchists’ [REVEAL]
US riots LIVE: Protestors riot at White House as tensions rise [REVEAL]

The closely packed crowds and demonstrators not wearing masks sparked fears of a resurgence of COVID-19, which has killed more than 100,000 Americans.

Violence spread overnight despite curfews in several major cities rocked by civil unrest in recent days, including Atlanta, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Denver, Cincinnati, Portland, Oregon, and Louisville, Kentucky.

Philadelphia on Sunday moved the city’s curfew earlier, to 6 p.m. (2200 GMT) from 8 p.m., and ordered all businesses to close as local TXF-TV showed images of groups of protesters attacking police cars, setting one on fire. Other people went into nearby stores and came out with armfuls of merchandise.

The District of Columbia imposed an 11 p.m. curfew after two nights of clashes between police and protesters near the White House.

Source: Read Full Article