Girl, 11, who drowned at waterpark birthday party pictured

The 11-year-old girl who drowned at a Berkshire water park on Saturday during a birthday party has been named.

Kyra Hill has been widely identified as the child who went missing on a Total Wipeout-style assault course at Liquid Leisure Windsor in Datchet.

Emergency services including a helicopter, an ambulance and a search and rescue crew were called to the scene at about 3.55pm but medics were unable to save her.

Witnesses say dozens of others jumped into the water to search for the girl after she got into difficulty.

But Thames Valley Police say the youngster was only found an hour later, at around 5.10pm, before being rushed to Wexham Park hospital, where she died.

Now a series of major safety concerns are being raised – even with the leisure park set to reopen today.

Mothers who were at the scene described a chaotic response when it became apparent that someone was missing, with a lack of lifeguards and ‘no plan’ for how to deal with such an incident.

One mother-of-two has since claimed that the girl who died ‘could have been my daughter’, after raising another safety issue a year ago.

Melissa Henson, a mother-of-two, claimed her child got stuck head-down in the water between two inflatables during that incident last year.

‘If I was not there and screaming, she would have got trapped’, the mum claimed.

Ms Henson told MailOnline that after raising concerns to management about safety, they apologised and offered her a free return.

Another mother who was at a water park said her own daughter felt unsafe and criticised a lack of ‘action’ among staff during the incident.

The woman from South Buckinghamshire, who was at the waterpark on Saturday but did not want to be named, branded the situation an ‘absolute tragedy’.

The 41-year-old, who has been several times before with her teenage daughter, explained: ‘We realised a child was missing as two frantic women ran past screaming the child’s name.

‘There seemed to be no plan of action with the LL staff. A few lifeguards jumped into the water and started searching in what appeared to be a very non-methodical way.

‘Another member of staff started asking other members of staff if they were life guard trained. No one appeared to be in charge and there was no co-ordination in managing the situation.’

She continued: ‘For the adults and children left on the riverside we didn’t know what to do, there was no communication and no evacuation procedure.

‘There is one small entrance and exit at LL and the emergency services arrived quickly and in huge numbers, they couldn’t have done more.

‘But because we weren’t told what to do and didn’t want to block their efforts of coming in to the park we just stood by and witnessed the search and rescue divers looking in the water.

‘Afterwards my daughter commented that she didn’t feel safe on the inflatable, there were areas which had deflated and gaps between obstacles which anyone could have easily slipped down leaving them underneath the inflatable.’

Yet the aqua assault course is set to reopen this morning, according to staff, despite the series of safety concerns.

The 41-year-old mother said her daughter had got into the water with a friend at 3pm, but noticed many others were not wearing wetsuits or lifejackets.

‘I saw a young female lifeguard closest to where we were sat not paying attention and staring across the open water rather than the people she was meant to be looking at’, she explained.

The woman said she began to feel ‘uneasy’ about the ratio of lifeguards to visitors but added: ‘I reasoned with myself that my daughter and friend had their life jackets on and the session would soon be over.’

The woman claimed her daughter had attended a safety briefing beforehand and was told not to push in people they did not know, not to use abusive language and that a whistle would be blown 10 minutes before the end and a second whistle would be blown when the session was finished.

Thames Valley Police are investigating the girl’s death and treated it as unexplained.

The girl’s next of kin have been informed and they are being offered support by officers.

A Liquid Leisure statement said: ‘Our thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and all those effected by this desperately tragic and upsetting incident.

‘As Thames Valley Police are in the early stages of investigation, it would not be right for us to add further comment, but we will continue to fully support and assist them throughout the process.’ has contacted the park for further comment.

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

Source: Read Full Article