Harry and Meghan star in trailer for Netflix documentary
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex’s upcoming series has attracted a barrage of media criticism ahead of its launch. The trailer for the couple’s six-part Netflix documentary dropped earlier this week and promised to reveal deatail of the Sussex family’s formerly under-wraps private life. While it has clocked imillions of views and is stuck on YouTube’s trending list, not all of the reception has proven positive, with early impressions claiming it is “unhinged”.
Jack Houghton, a digital editor at Sky News Australia, is among those bitterly unimpressed by the trailer.
He branded the documentary a “woe-is-me tearjerker about becoming a multi-millionaire literal princess”.
And he said he found it as “excruciatingly and narcissistically unhinged as you would imagine”.
He added: “This is the couple which complains about being in the media spotlight too often while taking cheques for millions of dollars to put themselves back in the media spotlight.”
The couple’s documentary trailer dropped yesterday, teasing an intimate peek into their lives.
In one clip, the Duchess appears to be weeping, and in another, she curls up on a chair, phone in hand, while appearing stressed.
An interviewer asks them why they want to make the documentary, to which Prince Harry replies: “No one sees what is happening behind closed doors.”
The trailer concludes with a line from the Duchess, who said: “When the stakes are this high, doesn’t it make more sense to hear our story from us?”
In a statement, Netflix said the documentary would offer an “unprecedented and in-depth” look at their lives.
The statement adds: “Across six episodes, the series explores the clandestine days of their early courtship and the challenges that led to them feeling forced to step back from their full-time roles in the institution.”
The documentary trailer arrived to immediate controversy, with many people convinced the royals travelled to the US and separated from the Firm for their privacy.
Some commentators have decried the royals’ “unbelievable narcissism”, while others have branded their series a “declaration of war”.
But others have defended their decision as an opportunity for them to tell their story on their own terms.
Dr Shola-Mos Shogbamimu, a lawyer and activist, said the documentary is “an affirmative action to speak their truth”.
Speaking on ITV’s Good Morning Britain, she also dismissed claims that the couple wished for complete privacy.
She said: “Those trying to discredit #HarryandMeghan with the ‘they wanted privacy’ narrative is gaslighting nonsense.”
“Not wanting an invasion of privacy doesn’t equate to becoming a recluse.”
“They were always clear they would live a life of service but have control over their privacy.”
The documentary did not disclose a release date, but reports suggest it will launch by December 8.
Liz Garbus, an Emmy-winning and two-time Academy Award-nominated director, directed the series.
Source: Read Full Article