Journalist Bryony Gordon, 39, visited Meghan and Harry at their Frogmore Cottage home in Windsor shortly after their visit to South Africa last September. During their trip, they shared their struggles as members of the Royal Family during an interview with Tom Bradby for ITV’s Megan and Harry: An African Journey. Ms Gordon, who has met the couple previously due her work with the support group Mental Health Mates, recalled they looked they were lacking energy when she paid them a visit.
Writing in The Telegraph, she said: “‘Why don’t you just jack it all in?’ I said to Meghan, after she had told me about the unexpected issues she had experienced in her new position: the loneliness; the sudden muting of her voice; the giving up of everything she knew for love, only to be, as she saw it, hounded and pilloried.”
Ms Gordon added that Meghan did not reply to her question.
However, she said she could tell from Meghan’s facial expression that this option had potentially been considered.
As a result, she was not surprised by the couple’s announcement on Instagram this week.
Ms Gordon also revealed that Harry and Meghan were dressed in casual jumpers when she spent time at their home.
They also offered her a cup of tea on her arrival.
Their home was also detailed as “less luxurious than many would imagine”.
There were dogs running around and also a candle in the downstairs toilet.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex shocked the world earlier in the week by announcing they were stepping back from their duties as senior royals and will be splitting their time between the UK and North America from now on.
They said: “After many months on reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution.
“We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.”
Their statement added their plans would still ensure their son Archie would have an “appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born into”.
The statement said: “It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment.
How Charles and William tried to bring Harry and Meghan back into fold [REVEALED]
Meghan & Harry share previously unseen pics of their private visit [PICTURES]
Royal SHOCK: Did Canada KNOW Prince Harry and Meghan Markle news? [INSIGHT]
“We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.
“This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity.
“We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties.
“Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.”
Buckingham Palace quickly responded that discussions on the issue were “at an early stage”.
It added: “We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
The Queen, Prince Charles and the Duke of Cambridge also ordered their teams to find a “workable solution” over the future role of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex within the Royal Family this week following the news.
A Buckingham Palace Source said on Thursday night the senior royals have asked aides to work “at pace” with the Government and The Sussex Household and an outcome is expected to take “days, not weeks”.
Source: Read Full Article