Europe

Husband who lost wife and two daughters says arson attack was 'cruel crime'

A husband whose wife and two young daughters were killed in a ‘deliberate’ fire in Nottingham has described their deaths as a ‘cruel crime against my family’.

Aboubacarr Drammeh, 40, paid tribute to his wife Fatoumatta Hydara and their daughters Fatimah and Naeemah Drammeh.

Fatoumatta, aged 28, was placed on a life support machine but died on Tuesday, two days after the fire engulfed her flat in Fairisle Close, Clifton.

Mr Drammeh, who flew back from the US following the fire, said: ‘It is with great sadness that we have lost Fatoumatta and our two daughters in such a tragic way.

‘Fatoumatta had lived a short but a very beautiful and fulfilling life. A former voluntary worker, Fatoumatta was a very happy, bubbly woman who wouldn’t have the heart to hurt a fly.

‘It is therefore inconceivable to think who might have committed this cruel crime against my family.’

Nottinghamshire Police said a joint investigation with the fire service found Sunday’s blaze was started deliberately and officers are continuing to question a 31-year-old local man as part of the triple murder inquiry.

In his statement, Mr Drammeh said: ‘We thank the Ahmadi Muslim community in Nottinghamshire, the Gambian community, the local neighbours and all those well-wishers for their continuous support in this difficult time.

‘I and my in-laws are left without any daughters, grandchildren and nieces. I will deeply miss my family.’

Steven Davies, 54, who lives in the property below, said he woke up to see smoke and saw emergency services bring the children out of the property.

‘The lady who lives there was really kind. The children were lovely. They were normal little kids,’ he said.

Another neighbour, who asked not to be named, said: ‘It’s just horrendous.

‘I was actually awake when it was all happening but I was watching a film in bed with my headphones on. I could hear a lad shouting, but at first I thought it was part of the movie.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Sinski, who is leading the investigation, said: ‘I’d like to thank everyone who has come forward with information so far to aid our ongoing investigation.

‘This is very much an active investigation, though, so I’d ask anyone who has any footage from the surrounding area they haven’t sent to us yet or has any information that could assist our inquiries to please get in touch.

‘No words can describe the pain the family of the victims are all feeling right now and we are doing everything possible to get them the justice they deserve.’

This is a breaking news story, more to follow soon… Check back shortly for further updates.

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

Source: Read Full Article