Europe

Justin Trudeau refuses to answer Meghan and Harry question after bombshell update

Details of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s split from the Royal Family was released last night, as it emerged they will stop being working members of the Firm from the Spring. The statement revealed the couple would no longer formally represent The Queen and would stop using their HRH titles. With the details of their split now ironed out, Prince Harry is expected to join Meghan and baby Archie in Canada – and locals have responded to the news that the couple is likely to spend half of their time there.

Canadian newspapers were quick to report on the latest development in Harry and Meghan’s decision to quit as senior royals but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau declined to comment on the news.

The overwhelming theme across the country’s press was that the couple were welcome to stay in Canada, but taxpayers were not keen on footing the bill of their security costs – which is estimated to cost £600,000 a year.

In an opinion piece for the Toronto Sun, Christina Blizzard wrote: “Yes, we’re flattered to have you come to stay.

“No, we don’t want to pay for security.”

She added: “You sense a great deal of pain and sadness in the Queen’s statement.

“She deserved better. She tried so hard to welcome Meghan.”

The Globe and Mail also mentioned the cost of the couple’s security and sought clarification on who would bare the burden.

It wrote: “Saturday’s statement didn’t comment on security other than to say; ‘There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly- funded security’.”

JUST IN: Meghan Markle’s father makes shock claim she is ‘tossing away’ dreams

It added: “The Canadian government has not said if it will cover the cost of the couple’s security if they decide to live in the country.

“Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said this week that security costs were ‘part of the reflection that needs to be had and there are discussions going on’.”

If Meghan and Harry decide to settle in Canada in the future, a constitutional crisis could arise.

This is because the nation prides itself on not having an aristocracy.

DON’T MISS:
Footage exposes Harry and Meghan’s ‘awkward pitch’ to Hollywood elite [VIDEO]
Meghan Markle and Harry could be handed lucrative Netflix deal [INSIGHT]
Baby Archie’s mystery godmother finally revealed as Harry’s mentor [DEVELOPED]

Last week a poll for non-profit Angus Reid Institute in Canada revealed that Canadians are not keen on paying for Meghan and Harry’s security arrangements.

The survey, of 1,154 Canadian adults surveyed from January 13-14, found that 73 percent of Canadians were opposed to contributing to the Sussexes’ costs.

Just under one fifth of respondents (19 percent) said they would be willing to share some of the cost, while only a handful of Canadians (three percent) would be willing to pay for all of the costs.

But the poll did reveal Prince Harry was their second favourite royal, after The Queen.

The Palace only briefly mentioned security costs in last night’s statement.

It said: “Buckingham Palace does not comment on the details of security arrangements.

“There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly-funded security.”

Source: Read Full Article