Two men arrested after former England footballer Kieron Dyer was allegedly racially abused have been released under investigation by police.
Officers from Suffolk Police were told on Saturday about the alleged incident at Hintlesham Golf Club near Ipswich on 24 July.
Mr Dyer, a midfielder who represented England’s national team 33 times, said he did not hear the alleged abuse himself.
But he claimed a playing partner informed him another club member used racial slurs including the words “monkey” and “banana” about him in the bar.
Police confirmed a man in his 50s arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence and on suspicion of a malicious communications offence has been released pending further inquiries.
They added a second man in his 30s arrested on suspicion of a malicious communications offence has also been released under investigation.
Mr Dyer told the East Anglian Daily Times on Monday that he was “left shocked when told” what had happened.
“For me this is a deeply upsetting incident,” he continued.
“I was appalled to be told of what had been said and it is clear to me there is still a long way to go in the battle against racism.”
In a statement provided to the newspaper, the golf club said: “Following reports of an alleged racist abuse against Kieron Dyer, a respected member of the club, we have commenced an investigation into the incident.
“Hintlesham Golf Club will not tolerate racial abuse or any similar abuse at the club. Any member found to be involved in such action will have their membership immediately terminated.
“If such action is committed by a guest at the club they will be banned from returning.
“We pride ourselves as being a friendly and welcoming club and such action is not compatible with our principles.”
Source: Read Full Article