Meghan Markle and Harry ‘daily embarrassment’ says expert
Harry is currently sixth in line to the throne, behind his father Prince Charles, older brother Prince William and the Duke of Cambridge’s three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis. Since he stepped down as a senior member of the Royal Family last year there have been calls for him to lose his claim to the throne.
He’s abandoned all royal responsibility and even adopted a new foreign country as his home
And an exclusive Express.co.uk poll found and overwhelming majority of readers were in favour of removing him from the royal line of succession.
And astonishing 96 percent (6,132 people) said they thought Harry should relinquish his position now he has moved away from the UK to start a new life in the US.
Just four percent (249 people) though he deserved to retain his place in line to the throne despite the upheaval of the last 12 months.
A total of 6,420 readers took part in the online poll which ran from 10.30am until 9.30pm on Thursday January 7 2021.
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
One reader said: “They’ve abdicated so have no place anywhere on the line.
“Mr and Mrs Windsor is all they need.”
Another said: “He’s abandoned all royal responsibility and even adopted a new foreign country as his home.
“He wants a ‘normal’ life: give him his wish – make him a commoner.”
Another reader pointed out: “They, of their own accord, stepped back from being royals so they should be stripped of their royal titles and taken off – along with their son – the list of those in order of succession.”
And another said: “The sooner Boris Johnson gets this done the better.
“They have caused so much embarrassment for the UK now should be the time to act.”
The British royal line of succession is regulated by family descent as well as by Parliamentary statute.
The line of descent was first laid down in law in 1701, with the Act of Settlement.
This stated that only Protestant descendants of Princess Sophia, the Electress of Hanover and granddaughter of James I, are eligible to succeed.
It determined that neither Roman Catholics, those who marry a Roman Catholic, nor those born out of wedlock, will appear in the line of succession.
Prince Harry was ’incredibly isolated’ during Covid pandemic[INSIGHT]
‘Outsider’ Meghan Markle to refuse to bow out of spotlight[SPOTLIGHT]
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry ‘in a very good place’ [FOCUS]
The Act also established the succession to the throne can be regulated by Parliament and that a Sovereign can be deprived of his/her title through misgovernment.
The Act of Settlement confirmed that it was for Parliament to determine the title to the throne.
The law also dictated the system of male primogeniture, whereby younger sons have precedence over their older sisters.
This is why Prince Andrew, 60, and Prince Edward, 56, are above their older sister Princess Anne, 70, in the line of succession.
But an amendment to the Succession to the Crown Act (2013) ended the system of male primogeniture and applies to those born after October 28, 2011.
This enabled Princess Charlotte to become fourth in line, ahead of her younger brother Prince Louis.
The Act also ended the provisions by which those who marry Roman Catholics are disqualified from the line of succession.
Due to Parliament’s involvement in the line of succession, altering it would require new legislation.
As a result, for Prince Harry to be removed from the list, Boris Johnson’s Government would have to step in and propose a Bill outlining this.
Source: Read Full Article