A man’s body has been pulled from the water in the English Channel after being spotted by a vessel.
The body, which was recovered by the Coastguard, has been taken to Eastbourne, Sussex Police told Sky News.
Officers said the man had been seen in the water in the ‘mid-English Channel’. They have not identified him, or confirmed his nationality.
Enquiries have begun into the circumstances of his death.
A record number of people have attempted to cross the Channel in recent weeks, which authorities believe is due to fine weather after weeks of unsettled conditions.
Last week around 800 men, women and children were thought to have made the journey from France to the UK.
Local Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) teams in Kent picked up a small boat carrying a large group of migrants at Dungeness on Monday morning.
Tim Naor Hilton, the chief executive of Refugee Action, said refugees feel there is ‘little choice’ other than to make the perilous journey in flimsy boats because the government refuses to open up alternative routes to safety.
Home Secretary Priti Patel has vowed to crack down on immigartion.
She has reportedly authorised sending back migrants in the Channel despite warnings from the French authorities that it could endanger lives.
Several newspapers reported this week that officials are to be taught how to use ‘pushback’ tactics to turn boats around under a plan to tackle rising migrant numbers.
However, the French government have rejected the plans.
This is a breaking news story, more to follow soon… Check back shortly for further updates.
Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.
Source: Read Full Article