Europe

Meghan, Harry and kids tipped to return for King Charles’ coronation

Meghan and Harry ‘clashing with Netflix’ says insider

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

King Charles III’s coronation has been set for May 6, 2023, eight months after his accession to the throne. Like every British Sovereign since 1066, Charles will be crowned at Westminster Abbey in London. 2,000 guests are expected to attend the traditional ceremony, including other royals, Commonwealth leaders and members of Parliament. And according to royal commentator Russell Myers, Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle are likely to travel across the pond for the King’s big day. 

Appearing on the Daily Mirror’s newly-rebranded podcast, Pod Save The King, Mr Myers discussed the plans for Charles’ coronation with host Zoe Forsey. He noted that the service is set to be scaled back in comparison to the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953, but insisted that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would certainly be on the guest list. 

The royal editor said: “One would assume they [Harry and Meghan] will come over. I can’t imagine for the life of me that Harry and Meghan won’t be there…they’ll definitely come over…no doubt.”

Ms Forsey added: “It’s one of those things I think if they don’t come to this, I think they’re making a very strong statement about their royal futures.”

Mr Myers agreed, saying: “I think you’re totally right. I think that’s a huge, huge statement. It’s a hugely significant event. 

“I don’t think that they will leave children there on Archie’s birthday so I think they’ll come over for the week and they’ll do the coronation, they will be able to hang out with some family — who knows what their relationships will be like then. 

“We still don’t know what the content of Harry’s book will be. And if you’ve read some of the reports that have been written over the last few weeks, Harry is feverishly rewriting chapters or he’s toning it down. Things could look very, very different by the end of the year — let alone May 6.”

Harry has received £17.5million from the £35million book deal he signed last year which includes four books, one to be published later this year. At the time of its announcement, the Duke of Sussex said the memoir will be written “not as the prince” he was, but as the man, he has “become”. 

Since the news that Harry was writing a book came to light, many have speculated that the Prince will reveal details about the royal rift, with Charles, Prince William and Queen Consort Camilla pointed out as potential targets of an attack. 

Earlier this month, Vanity Fair’s royal editor, Katie Nicholl told GB News presenter Michael Portillo that Harry is not “afraid to criticise the institution”. 

She said: “I think it [the book] will come out. I mean, my experience of books is that he’s been paid something like a £35 million advance, half of which has already been paid. I know the Palace is understandably very concerned about what’s going to be in this book.

“We know from the things that Harry and Megan have said in Oprah [Winfrey] and in other interviews that they’re not afraid to criticise the institution. They’re not afraid to have a pop at members of the Royal Family. That Oprah interview put the Royals at the centre of a really controversial storm over those allegations of racism. So it’s belts and braces time — but I cannot believe that the Prince is going to hand back half of that advance and pull the plug on the book.”

After they reunited with the Royal Family to mourn the loss of the late Queen, Harry and Meghan have been the subject of discussion, specifically regarding the future of their projects. While some believe the Duke should stop the book, others — like Ms Nicholl — believe the memoir will hit shelves, and while it has been reported that the Sussexes are toning down some comments, elsewhere it has been claimed Harry plans to add a new chapter. 

DON’T MISS: 
Andrew looks set to take on Queen’s beloved dogs after monarch’s death [REVEAL]
Queen’s poignant last moments with Charles and Anne by her side [INSIGHT]
Inside Buckingham Palace: Glimpse inside Queen Elizabeth II’s home [ANALYSIS]

The Daily Mail’s Diary Editor Richard Eden claimed a new chapter will give the royal a chance to respond to stories suggesting he was “offended” at his grandmother’s funeral. Speaking to Palace Confidential, Mr Eden said: “Jeffrey Archer, well-connected in the published world is saying that Harry is writing a new chapter completely.

“We’ve had all these stories about whether the book will be delayed or whether there will be changes. From what he was saying, it will be dealt with by a new chapter that will be on the Queen’s funeral and the events surrounding it. It will give him a chance to address those stories about him being offended by not being able to wear his uniform and then not having the ER letters on his epaulettes.

“This could be a way that all the tenses are correct, referring to the Queen in the past and then having that new chapter could be a quite elegant way to do with it. It would suggest that the book is being delayed so it may come out next spring rather than next month as we’ve been led to believe.”

The book is said to be a deciding factor in the future roles of Harry and Meghan within the Royal Family. Charles is understood to be particularly concerned about the content of the book and Ms Nicholl has claimed the King will be “ruthless” if the Sussexes continue with “unfair attacks”. 

Katie Nicholl, author of ‘The New Royals’ and Vanity Fair’s royal correspondent told The Daily Beast this week: “There is no doubt that Charles would like Harry and Meghan to be at his coronation. And to be fair to Charles, he has been magnanimous in terms of extending, very publicly, olive branches to the Sussexes, not only in his televised accession address but also putting them front and centre at the funeral events.

“But he does expect respect in return, and a problem is going to arise if, between now and then, Harry repays him by attacking him, Camilla or the institution. He is not going to put up with inaccurate and unfair attacks.”

She added: “The Queen was ruthless when it came to protecting the institution, and Charles will be too, and we are possibly seeing that in the lack of urgency around naming Archie and Lilibet prince and princess. 

“My understanding is that Charles is not averse to granting them titles, but he expects to see respect from the Sussexes in return. The ball is in the Sussexes’ court. The royals, just like the rest of us, are waiting to see what they will do next.”

Source: Read Full Article