Meghan and Prince Harry have started their new, post-royal lives yesterday, after having officially stepped down as senior royals. The date of their departure as senior royals was decided earlier this winter before the coronavirus pandemic hit Europe.
Yet, its timing is “highly unfortunate” as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex could have used their defining attributes to help the UK and work with their organisations during the coronavirus crisis, royal expert Richard Fitzwilliams said.
The expert recalled how Prince Harry, who has been in the Army for 10 years, is a man of action and has the energy and spirit to work and boost the morale of a country through difficult periods.
Similarly, he said Meghan is known for her hands-on approach and charitable spirit, which would have allowed the Sussexes to be on the royal frontline during this pandemic.
Please sign up to pledge your support now to our brave NHS Heroes
Mr Fitzwilliams told Express.co.uk: “If Prince Harry had been here during the pandemic he would have been as active and as busy as possible in helping those causes.
“It was his energy and initiative that launched the Invictus Games.
“Meghan is an activist with a deeply caring side, if she had been here she would undoubtedly have been involved with organisations helping those most affected.
“Obviously they would handle matters in ways commensurate with Government advice during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“However their move to Hollywood has happened at a highly unfortunate time.”
Meghan and Prince Harry have announced on Monday they will dedicate the next few weeks to their family and, working behind the scene, to understand how they can help during the coronavirus crisis.
The Sussexes bowed out of their royal lives with an Instagram post they signed simply as “Harry & Meghan”.
They said: “What’s most important right now is the health and wellbeing of everyone across the globe and finding solutions for the many issues that have presented themselves as a result of this pandemic.
“As we all find the part we are to play in this global shift and changing of habits, we are focusing this new chapter to understand how we can best contribute.
“While you may not see us here, the work continues.”
Across the pond, senior royals continue to work and support their charity while following the Government advice to limit as much as possible their contacts outside the household.
Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince William were photographed working in their offices.
Yesterday, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge phoned two hospitals to show their support to NHS staff, the Court Circular shows.
An entry dated April 1 read: “The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon talked to staff at Queen’s Hospital Burton, Burton on Trent, Staffordshire, via telephone.
“Their Royal Highnesses afterwards talked to staff at University Hospital Monklands, Airdrie, Lanarkshire, via telephone.”
Prince Charles, who recently recovered from coronavirus, opened up on the “often distressing experience” of the lockdown in a video shared on Clarence House’s social media platform.
The Prince of Wales and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, continue to be in touch with their patronages and organisation.
Similarly, the Queen has recently spoken to the nation with a statement and continues to remotely carry out her royal duties, including her weekly meetings with the Prime Minister.
Source: Read Full Article