Meghan Markle 'has got everything she wanted' says expert
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters. Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer. Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Lee Cohen, who was an expert on Anglo-American matters for the House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee, hit out at the Duke and Duchess of Sussex for having “besmirched” the Royal Family in their Oprah Winfrey interview. Mr Cohen, now a senior fellow at the UK think tank the Bow Group and the Danube Institute, said at the time many of his fellow Americans believed the blame “must lie anywhere” but with Meghan and Harry.
However, Mr Cohen added that “recent events” have sparked “more critical assessments” of the couple in the US.
Writing in The Sun, he said: “On both sides of the Atlantic, everyone loves the Cinderella story. But as they have gotten to know Meghan, the Brits saw what she really was – an ambitious self-promoter with a social justice agenda.
“Now Americans are getting a chance to see what the couple are really about and the fairytale, replete with evil in-laws and half-siblings, is wearing thin.
“Over the past few days, US headlines have been crying fury, and this can be expected to feed through to general opinion.”
Mr Cohen blasted Harry for describing the First Amendment – which protects the right to freedom of speech – as “bonkers” during a podcast interview earlier this month.
He said: “It doesn’t seem yet to have dawned on Harry that whether or not he’s representing his birth country, criticising his host country is unlikely to bring him many admirers there.”
Mr Cohen concluded that there will always be some who “passionately defend the fallen royal couple no matter their behaviour”.
He continued: “But with each new muddled Sussex observation, unsubstantiated claim and disloyal act, ever more Americans will come to realise that the couple’s failures rest on their own shoulders rather than on the British nation or the institution of monarchy.”
The Sussexes – who are living in California after quitting royal duties last year – made a set of damaging claims about the royals in their tell-all TV interview with Winfrey, which aired in March.
Harry went on to criticise his family once again during his appearance on the Armchair Expert podcast earlier in May.
The Duke also prompted a backlash over his comments about the First Amendment – with a host of US commentators reacting furiously to his remarks.
Harry and Meghan could ‘press nuclear button’ against royals [VIDEO]
Prince Harry ‘doing reverse of what Queen wants’ [INSIGHT]
Prince Harry documentary: 7 biggest bombshells confessions [ANALYSIS]
And Harry has sparked further controversy with his latest attack on the Royal Family in his new mental health documentary series with Winfrey, The Me You Can’t See, which was released on Apple TV+ on Friday.
The Duke accused his family of “total neglect” when Meghan was left feeling suicidal by social media trolling.
He said: “Every single ask, request, warning, whatever it is, to stop just got met with total silence or total neglect.”
Harry added: “We spent four years trying to make it work. We did everything that we possibly could to stay there and carry on doing the role and doing the job.”
The 36-year-old also lambasted the parenting skills of his father Prince Charles.
And he warned he would “never be bullied into silence” in the future.
Meghan and Harry quit royal duties in March 2020 for a new life across the pond – a move dubbed Megxit.
Source: Read Full Article