Europe

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Netflix deal to be ‘tricky tightrope for couple to walk’

Thomas Markle dismisses idea of Meghan running for president

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex made headlines around the world last year as they announced their decision to step down from the Royal Family. Meghan, 40, and Harry, 36, said they would move to North America and have since settled in Montecito, California. In their bombshell announcement, the couple said they wanted to carve out new financially independent roles for themselves separate from the Royal Family.

Since then, the pair have embarked on a string of media ventures, including signing a massive contract with Netflix.

Meghan and Harry’s deal with the streaming service is reportedly worth more than $100million (£72million).

The couple have agreed to produce docu-series, feature films, scripted programmes and children’s shows.

However, at the same time as laying out their Hollywood ambitions, Meghan and Harry have also complained about the media’s intrusion into their private lives.

JUST IN: 

For journalist and royal commentator Emily Andrews, who has written for the Mail on Sunday, the Sussexes’ parallel goals are conflicting.

Ms Andrews told the 2021 documentary, “Secrets Of The Royal – The Markles vs. The Monarchy – British Royal Documentary” the couple have secured their media work precisely because they are in the public eye.

She said: “Effectively the money that they are being paid is because of their platform as royalty, as members of the Royal Family.

“That’s quite tricky, people always want the most compulsive viewing and the things that are going to command the most column inches and effectively that then translates into dollars.

“Are those personal and intimate revelations? So, I think that will be a very tricky tightrope for the couple to walk.”

The Sussexes have so far revealed very little about their deal with Netflix, which they signed late last year.

In a statement at the time, they said: “As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us, as is powerful storytelling through a truthful and relatable lens.

“We are pleased to work with Ted and the team at Netflix whose unprecedented reach will help us share impactful content that unlocks action.”

Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos said he was “incredibly proud” to have brought the Sussexes onboard.

DON’T MISS:
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Netflix dream in tatters: ‘Just a press release’ [LATEST]
Jane McDonald’s royal confession over Queen being ‘most consistent’ part of her life [INSIGHT]
Queen ordered Michelle Obama take seat with her during trip: ‘Rubbish!’ [ANALYSIS]

Last month Meghan announced that the couple’s Archewell Productions was creating its first ever animated series with Netflix.

“Pearl” will be co-produced by the Duchess, alongside her friend, Elton John’s husband, David Furnish, as well as Carolyn Soper, Liz Garbus, Dan Cogan and Amanda Rynda.

Meghan and Harry are also pursuing several other projects, including a deal they signed to produce podcasts for Spotify reported to be worth up to £30million.

Harry also announced last month that he will publish a memoir next year, with all the proceeds set to be donated to charity.

Family Harry and Meghan opened up about their decision to leave the Royal in a sensational interview with A-list chat show host Oprah Winfrey in March.

During the two-hour sit-down chat, which was broadcast on CBS, Harry repeated his previous criticism of the media’s coverage of him and his wife, and explained why he had spoken out on several occasions.

He told Oprah: “I’ve got my own relationship that goes back a long way with the media.

“I asked for calm from the British tabloids — once as a boyfriend, once as a husband and once as a father.”
Source: Read Full Article