Europe

Mohammed Islam death: Boy, 15, sentenced to four years and nine months in detention for killing Stockport restaurant owner

A 15-year-old boy who ran over and killed a father-of-three while stealing his vehicle has been sentenced to four years and nine months in detention.

The teenager, who was 14 at the time and cannot be named for legal reasons, sped off in Mohammed Islam’s silver Mercedes as the owner held on to his car and shouted: “No! No! No!”

Mr Islam, 53, went “flying” as the teenager “floored” the vehicle during the robbery in Romiley, Stockport, Manchester Crown Court heard.

He died two days later in hospital on 10 January, 2021.

Mr Islam, also known as Nowab Miah, came to the UK alone from Bangladesh as a 14-year-old. He owned the Marple Spice restaurant in Marple, Stockport.

His daughter, Nasrin Choudhory, read a victim impact statement to the defendant and co-accused in court.

“I don’t think you realise what you have done. The void that has been left has not been filled,” she said.

“Dad dying has hit mum so hard. I can’t remember the last time I saw her smile.

“I have not had many good days. He was not only an immeasurable loss to my family but the whole community.

“Dad was the foundation of our home.”

The teenager has an IQ of 66, which puts him in the bottom 1% for his age group.

He admitted manslaughter at an earlier hearing. Now aged 15, he has also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to steal.

Sentencing the teenager, Judge Nicholas Dean QC, Honorary Recorder of Manchester, said: “The family have had a light extinguished in their life.

“The profound grief of the family will live with them for many years.”

Earlier Peter Wright QC, prosecuting, told the court the teenager was among a group of five who were looking for a vehicle to steal and sell on when they came across Mr Islam’s Mercedes, which had been given to him as a gift from his grown-up two sons and a daughter on his 25th wedding anniversary.

Mr Islam was finishing his day at the Marple Spice restaurant when he told staff he would deliver an order himself as the house was on his way home.

As he arrived at the door of the house in Romiley the teenager jumped in the driver’s seat of his car, the court heard.

Mr Wright said witnesses saw Mr Islam grab the side of the car, which was at first stationary.

He continued: “That did not deter the defendant, who then drove off at considerable speed with Mr Islam holding on to the car.

“Other members of the public saw Mr Islam clinging to the side of the vehicle, one said the car was ‘travelling at the sort of speed I have seen on Top Gear when they completely floor it.’

“The vehicle travelled 30 metres until he was thrown from the car.

“All the injuries were consistent with him having been thrown from the vehicle with his head striking the ground, then him being run over by the vehicle itself over his head.”

Police traced the teenager and arrested him on the same day Mr Islam died.

The court heard there were photos and videos on his phone showing him behind the wheel of the stolen car.

The gang tried to sell the car, but following the publicity surrounding Mr Islam’s death they burnt it to destroy evidence.

In mitigation, Simon Csoka QC, said the teenager has significant learning difficulties and an attention deficit disorder.

He added: “He does have comprehension of the enormity of the loss he has caused.”

Co-defendant Connor Read, 18, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to steal and was given 13 months detention, suspended for two years, and ordered to do 120 hours of unpaid work.

A second teenager aged 15 is yet to be sentenced for conspiracy to steal, while two others both aged 18 are due in court on the same charge on Tuesday.

Source: Read Full Article