‘Monstrous’ couple jailed after leaving helpless baby with 60 broken bones before she died

Sue Gray report: Met Police request ‘minimal reference’

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Benjamin O’Shea, 26, and Naomi Johnson, 33, attempted to blame their daughter’s injuries on the paramedics who tried to save her. The couple were both found guilty of the physical abuse of their eight-week-old daughter, Amina.

They were also found guilty of cruelty towards another child.

O’Shea was handed a prison term of eight years and eight months at the Inner London Crown Court on Friday.

While Johnson was given seven years and two months.

In April 2019, paramedics were called after Amina stopped breathing but despite their efforts, the baby sadly died at the scene in Southwark, in London.

The pair continued to lie about the circumstances leading up to their daughter’s death and attempted to blame others for the injuries, including their family GP.

Amina was found to have more than 60 fractured bones, including 41 identified fractures to her ribs, anteriorly and posteriorly as well as 24 fractures to her limbs.

Initially, the cause of death was thought to be Sudden Unexplained Death before a post-mortem revealed the horrific injuries the eight-week-old suffered.

Detectives from the Met’s Homicide and Serious Crime Command looked through texts between the couple.

During their investigation, they found O’Shea had made several calls to NHS 111 between 2016 and 2019 speaking about his self-diagnosed PTSD and aggression issues.

He originally told paramedics he had taken his daughter to a GP for a routine check on the day before her death.

O’Shea claimed Amina seemed grumpy after waking up at 7.30am the next morning and Johnson gave her some paracetamol so she would go back to sleep.

Around 20 minutes later, he called 999 after finding his daughter unresponsive.

Tory MP trashes forecast 54 no-confidence letters ready to oust Boris [INSIGHT] 
Urgent hunt for missing British fugitive on loose in Costa del Sol [REVEAL]  
Disgusting yobs hurl ‘bricks’ at disabled woman in Asda car park [COMMENT]

Radiologists found the multiple fractures were highly indicative that Amina had suffered continued physical abuse.

This was due to some of her injuries being relatively recent while others had started to heal, according to police.

The couple were arrested in 2019 after a criminal investigation was launched and both claimed her death was due to the GP visit and fractures by paramedics.

Detective Inspector Melanie Pressley, who led the investigation, previously said: “This is a truly heart-breaking case that has touched all of us who have worked on bringing Johnson and O’Shea before the court for their monstrous crimes.

“The cruelty and callousness with which the pair discussed the treatment of the other child, in this case, is shocking.

“Children depend on adults and the children, in this case, were sorely betrayed by Johnson and O’Shea in the most tragic of ways.

“In eight weeks of life Amina suffered an unimaginable number of injuries.

“The trauma she endured in her short life is impossible to comprehend, her injuries are a catalogue of the most despicable abuse.

“Equally incomprehensible is how an adult can inflict such cruelty on defenceless, innocent children.

“Throughout our investigation, we have been unable to establish how the baby died and Johnson and O’Shea have been steadfast in their refusal to answer our questions.

“They have sought to protect themselves in a way they clearly did not for the two children in this case.”

DC Caroline Baker, part of the investigation team, added: “It is difficult to speak of justice in a case like this, however, I hope that today’s verdict is a clear message that these children mattered and the abuse they suffered will be punished.”

Source: Read Full Article