Europe

Mystery surrounds hour-long delay for Royal Family

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The Prince of Wales, Prince Andrew and the Earl and Countess of Wessex were among the senior royals on board the RAF jet dashing to Balmoral in Scotland to be by the late monarch’s side. King Charles III, his wife Camilla, and Princess Anne were already at the estate when the Queen took a turn for the worse.

The royals took off for the Scottish estate at 2.39pm on Thursday – but the RAF Dassault Falcon had been scheduled to leave at 1.30pm.

It is not known why there was a last-minute delay.

Sadly, the senior royals did not make it in time with Prince Charles and Princess Anne at the Queen’s bedside when she took her final breath.

 

Meanwhile, Prince Harry took his own flight to Balmoral after initial plans to be joined by his wife Meghan Markle were scuppered.

Constitutional expert and royal author Brian Hoey said Prince William and Prince Harry would have never flown together due to constitutional reasons in case the jet were to crash.

He told The Sun: “There is a strong constitutional reason that William and Harry do not fly together — and that is to do with the line of succession.

 

“Royal aides have to consider everything, and this is very likely to have been a factor.

“While events happened very quickly, they have had years to plan for all eventualities.

“The speed of events caught everyone off-guard and could have affected travel plans — but it still would have been unwise for William and Harry to fly together.

DON’T MISS 
William ‘reflects elevated status’ with Meghan and Harry moment [INSIGHT]
King Charles in huge inheritance tax break as it’d be ‘inappropriate’ [INFO]
Queen final journey: Mourners throw flowers at motorcade [VIDEO]

“I don’t think we will see them fly together again for constitutional reasons.”

It comes after it emerged concerns for the Queen’s health began on Wednesday when he was forced to postpone her Privy Council meeting.

This came just 24 hours after she performed her final duty of swearing in new Prime Minister Liz Truss.

Insiders said there was a “flurry of activity” on the Balmoral estate on Wednesday, where the Queen remained comfortable and was supervised round the clock overnight by doctors.

Thousands of people have lined the streets as the Queen’s coffin makes its final journey on a six-hour journey from her beloved Balmoral Estate to the Scottish capital of Edinburgh.

Elizabeth’s oak coffin, covered with the royal standard of Scotland and with a wreath of flowers on top, has been lying in the ballroom of Balmoral Castle, her summer home in Scotland where she died peacefully on Thursday.

There has been an outpouring of grief across the world after Buckingham Palace confirmed the death of Queen Elizabeth II on Thursday, which immediately saw her son become King Charles III.

The death of the 96-year-monarch has provoked tears, sadness and warm tributes, not just from the Queen’s own close family and many Britons, but also from around the world – reflecting her presence on the world stage for 70 years.

Her state funeral will take place on Monday, September 19.

Source: Read Full Article