Europe

Palace coy over Harry and Meghan’s Coronation role

Prince Harry: Levin on royal attending coronation

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are set to be invited to King Charles’ coronation ceremony next year, alongside their two children, Archie and Lilibet. Royal commentator Neil Sean said sources at the Palace confirmed the invite would be sent out for the ceremony, which is set to take place on Saturday, May 6, 2023. However, Mr Sean also said that his sources at the Palace refused to say whether the Sussexes would play a “major role” in the ceremony.

He claimed the Palace’s reluctance to confirm ceremonial plans was due to concerns that Harry’s upcoming memoir would damage the monarchy and King Charles in particular.

Mr Sean explained: “Everybody who is anybody will want to attend the coronation because it goes down in history.

“Everyone looks at the guestlist. But the focus has returned to Charles’ youngest son.

“I contacted the Palace, and they confirmed that yes, they will be invited, but they did not want to confirm the role they will be playing.”

JUST IN: Queen Elizabeth II’s plans for Prince Andrew after her death

He said the coronation guestlist presented a “difficult dilemma” for King Charles.

Mr Sean added: “He would want his youngest son there and the family, Meghan included. It would be seen as a snub if they weren’t.

“But it all depends on this book and how damaging that book remains to King Charles.

“Six months down the line, if the book is still reverberating with damage, he could have a rethink.”

King Charles ‘hopeful for reconciliation’ with Harry says insider

The royal commentator continued: “They will not confirm at this stage whether Prince Harry, Meghan, and their two youngest children will have a major role, or if they will be invited onto the balcony, which is the big pinnacle of the event.

“They were not invited onto the balcony at the late Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

“Things are moving at a very fast pace.

“The office of Harry and Meghan have already sent off their congratulations to Charles, and let them know that they are keeping the date free. Is this a pitch from the Sussexes?”

DON’T MISS:

Meghan and Harry’s plans ‘thrown in air’ in major setback [INTERVIEW]
Iran forces filmed shooting fleeing protesters with gun-mounted vans [VIDEO]
If Liz Truss is still PM on Monday afternoon it will be a miracle [ANALYSIS]

He suggested that Harry may be redrafting his memoir for Penguin Random House in order to secure a major role at the Coronation.

Meanwhile, King Charles has been urged to stop the Coronation ceremony from being derailed by culture wars.

Earlier this week it was revealed that plans for the Queen Consort to wear a diamond-encrusted crown at the Coronation may be shelved as it could bring back “painful memories” of colonialism.

A spokesman for Indian prime minister Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party warned against the use of the crown jewel Koh-i-Noor.

The service is expected to be “far shorter” than Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation, which went on for three hours, partly because of the new King’s age.

READ NEXT:

King Charles won’t move into Buckingham Palace for five years
‘Queen’ Camilla to be adopted formally as ‘Consort’ set to be dropped
‘His father is the King’ Harry likely to attend Charles’ Coronation
Sophie secures place as Palace ‘pushing’ royal to forefront
Palace could use 200-year-old coronet to crown Camilla to avoid row

Source: Read Full Article