Europe

Piers Morgan’s furious rant about Harry’s Remembrance Day pictures: ‘Distasteful PR stunt’

Meghan and Harry: Piers Morgan slams ‘PR stunt’ in 2020

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

On Sunday, members of the Royal Family will pay their respects to Britain’s fallen soldiers at the Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph. The Queen’s attendance at the annual event had been uncertain in the wake of her recent health scare. However, Buckingham Palace confirmed in an official statement yesterday that the Queen will attend this year’s wreath-laying service.

The Palace noted that Her Majesty will, as has been the case for years, view the service from the balcony of the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office Building.

Last year’s Remembrance Day ceremony did include some notable absentees, such as the Queen’s son Prince Andrew, who missed the service after stepping back from royal duties.

Harry and Meghan were also absent in the wake of the couple having quit the Royal Family earlier that year.

The Duke of Sussex, who served in the army for ten years and undertook two Afghanistan tours, marked Remembrance Sunday in California.

Read More:Kate Middleton will be weighed by the Queen before Christmas

Harry and Meghan visited the Los Angeles National Cemetery, where they left flowers on the grave site of two commonwealth soldiers and placed a wreath at an obelisk.

Mr Morgan unleashed a furious tirade at the couple on ITV’s Good Morning Britain after they published pictures of their time at the cemetery on social media and made them available to media outlets.

Mr Morgan said: “What they then do, they go to a military cemetery in Los Angeles and they then invite a photographer, one of their preferred photographers.

“Remember they’re very privacy-minded, these two.

“They don’t like the press, they don’t like photography, unless they’re controlling it.

“And they then release a series of images of themselves at a cemetery, laying flowers, and a wreath and paying tribute.

“Now, Prince Harry is perfectly entitled as a former member of the armed forces to pay tribute to the armed forces, of course he is.”

He added: “However this smacked to me as a really distasteful PR stunt designed to say to the Palace ‘you might try and stop me having my right to have a livery servant lay my wreath, but you’re not going to stop me grabbing the PR headlines’.

Don’t Miss:
Nadiya Hussein stunned courtiers with bizarre Queen request[OPINION]
Camilla heartbreak as Diana references ‘bring back memories[ANALYSIS]
Queen cried as she broke with royal tradition on Remembrance Day[INSIGHT]

“And I’m sorry, that sticks in my gullet, this guy is doing no duty.”

It was reported last year that the Duke of Sussex made a personal request for a wreath to be laid on his behalf at the service in London.

Allegedly, Buckingham Palace denied Harry’s request.

Mr Morgan’s co-anchor at the time Susanna Reid was quick to jump to the defence of the Sussexes.

She said: “My side of the story […] is that the armed forces mean a lot to Prince Harry.

“He served ten years, he was blocked allegedly from having a wreath in his name placed at the Cenotaph.

“Why wouldn’t he want to show his respect when he has such a strong connection to the military?”

Mr Morgan sharply responded: “Why do it with a photographer in an American cemetery?”

Ms Reid said: “Because if you don’t do it with a photographer people don’t know that you’ve done it.”

Mr Morgan scoffed and added: “Oh please, do me a favour, you could have just issued a statement saying you’re thinking of people.”

Source: Read Full Article