Europe

Prince Andrew: Legal papers relating to allegations against Duke acknowledged by UK courts

Queen: Expert discusses Prince Andrew's Jubilee involvement

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Virginia Giuffre has launched a civil case against Prince Andrew in New York and claims the Duke sexually assaulted her three times. The Duke of York denies all the allegations. A letter has reportedly emerged from the UK’s HM Courts & Tribunals Service, with the heading “Re: Service of Foreign Process on Prince Andrew, Duke of York”.

The letter from a court official is dated October 1 and says the Senior Master of the Senior Courts of England and Wales, Queen’s Bench Division “cordially encloses the certificate of service in this matter”, Sky News reports.

The letter also has a document with the header: “Virginia L Guiffre v Prince Andrew Duke of York”.

It says the purpose is to “inform the Defendant of claims against him in the Southern District of New York and demand his response and appearance”.

The document adds the purpose of proceedings is “to bring claims against the Defendant for battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress for an amount to be determined by a jury at trial”.

In a separate document, it said legal papers were delivered to Prince Andrew’s Royal Lodge address in Windsor.

The issue of whether or not Andrew, 61, had been notified about the civil case in New York – known as service of proceedings – was contested during the first pre-trial hearing last month.

Prince Andrew’s US lawyers later accepted the Duke had been served with legal papers following a ruling by a US judge.

Court documents show lawyers for both sides spoke on September 21 and the time for the Duke to respond was extended.

Andrew’s response must now be filed to a court in New York by October 29.

Giuffre – previously known as Virginia Roberts- was an accuser of the billionaire sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, who died in prison in 2019.

Giuffre, now 38-years-old, alleges she was sexually assaulted by Prince Andrew when she was 17 at the London home of Mr Epstein’s ex-girlfriend, Ghislaine Maxwell.

She also claims Andrew sexually abused her at Mr Epstein’s mansion in Manhattan, and on Mr Epstein’s private island in the US Virgin Islands.

The Duke of York has denied all the allegations.

DON’T MISS

Brexit: Boris could be set to compromise with EU over ECJ role [INSIGHT]
Royal Family LIVE: US fury as Queen urged to strip Meghan’s title [LIVE]
BBC Weather: UK chill continues as temperatures drop close to freezing [FORECAST]

Earlier this month, US District Judge Loretta Preska granted Andrew’s s lawyers permission to examine a confidential 2009 agreement between Mr Epstein and Giuffre, which the Duke’s legal team hope will nullify the civil case.

During the first pre-trial hearing of the case in September, the Duke’s lawyer, Andrew Brettler said: “There has been a settlement agreement that the plaintiff has entered into in a prior action that releases the duke and others from any and all potential liability.”

Giuffre’s lawyer David Boies claimed the document was “irrelevant”.

In a court paper, he said: “Although we believe that the release is irrelevant to the case against Prince Andrew, now that service has been accepted and the case is proceeding to a determination on the merits.

“We believe that counsel for Prince Andrew have a right to review the release and to make whatever arguments they believe appropriate based on it.”
Source: Read Full Article