Europe

Prince Andrew ‘served by Giuffre’s lawyers again’ Duke faces mounting legal pressure

Prince Andrew: Royal commentator discusses court case

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Documents were reportedly emailed and sent via the courier firm FedEx to the Duke of York’s US lawyer, Andrew Brettler, in Los Angeles on Monday. The Duke of York’s legal team have been given seven days by the High Court to challenge its decision to begin notifying Andrew about the US civil case against him.

The High Court in London accepted last Wednesday a request by Virginia Giuffre’s lawyers to formally contact the Duke about the legal proceedings launched in the US.

Giuffre is suing Prince Andrew for allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was 17-years-old.

Prince Andrew denies the allegations.

On Monday evening, Managing Editor of @LawCrimeNews Adam Klasfeld tweeted documents on Twitter and wrote: “Prince Andrew’s been served… again, Virginia Giuffre’s lawyer says.

“And lest there be any doubt about service, a federal judge has issued a formal request to the U.K. government (known as a “letters rogatory”) on the matter.”

ITV News Royal Editor Chris Ship also posted on Twitter, he wrote: “It looks like Prince Andrew HAS been served the court papers from his accuser Virginia Giuffre.

“It was emailed and FedEx’d to his new US Lawyer Andrew Brettler in Los Angeles TODAY (20 September).”

The issue of whether or not Andrew has been notified about the case – known as service of proceedings – was contested during the first pre-trial hearing of the civil case in New York on September 13

David Boies, representing Giuffre, said papers had been “delivered to the last known address of the defendant” and documents had also been sent “by Royal Mail”.

Andrew Brettler, the duke’s attorney, said the royal’s legal team contested the validity of service to date and insisted he has not been properly served under either UK or international law.

Mr Brettler also told the hearing, Giuffre had previously entered into a “settlement agreement” in 2009 that would potentially nullify her case.

On Thursday, Manhattan Judge Loretta Preska said Andrew could request the unsealing of the document agreed between Giuffre and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Last Wednesday, the High Court in London accepted a request by Giuffre’s lawyers to formally contact Andrew about the legal proceedings launched in America.

It is understood the Duke’s team are contesting the court’s decision.

The High Court said in a statement: “Lawyers for Prince Andrew have indicated that they may seek to challenge the decision of the High Court to recognise the validity of the Hague Convention request for service made by Ms Giuffre’s lawyers.

“The High Court has directed that any challenge must be made by close of business on September 24.”

A lawsuit was initially filed in New York by Giuffre on August 9 and accuses Prince Andrew of sexually assaulting her three times when she was under the age of 18.

Virginia Giuffre claims she was forced to have sexual intercourse with the Duke of York at the London home of Ghislaine Maxwell in 2001.

DON’T MISS

Rishi Sunak eyes US Brexit finance deal as Brussels shuts out London [INSIGHT]
Royal Family LIVE: Meghan warned she ‘needs to start respecting Queen’ [LIVE]
UK weather forecast: 73F heat to hit Britain before polar air strike [FORECAST]

Virginia Giuffre, now 38-years-old, also claims Andrew sexually assaulted her at a New York mansion and at a private island in the Caribbean owned by Jeffrey Epstein.

Prince Andrew, 61, denies all the allegations.

In an interview with BBC Newsnight in 2019, Andrew said he had never met Virginia Giuffre.

The Duke stepped down from royal duties for the “foreseeable future” in November 2019.
Source: Read Full Article