We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
Robert Lacey, who recently released the biography Battle of the Brothers, claimed the denial of Prince Harry’s request left him “deeply saddened”. The Queen was understood not to have been informed of the request or its refusal, according to reports. Instead, Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, laid their own wreath in remembrance of fallen soldiers in Los Angeles.
Mr Lacey claimed the gesture showed how “expendable” Prince Harry is “as the spare”.
The biographer said Prince Harry’s was a “perfectly reasonable request”, and claimed that if everything had been well between the Palace and Duke of Sussex, the wish would have likely been granted.
He said: “If the Royal Family or the palace wanted to co-operate then it would seem to be a perfectly reasonable request to make that could have been fulfilled.”
Mr Lacey went on to say the decision did not bode well for those wanting a reconciliation between the Royal Family and Meghan and Harry.
He explained: “On the face of this, it would seem that Harry is keener on reconciliation or maintaining some sort of link than the palace is to granting one.”
Addressing Prince Harry’s years of military service and the fact he has often been referred to as a spare, Mr Lacey added: “The spares are expendable so they are sent to war.
“It is all part of the cruelty of the spare system.”
Prince Harry made the request to Buckingham Palace, but it was reportedly flat-out refused.
Details later emerged that Harry’s wreath was already made by the Royal British Legion’s Kent headquarters, but lay forgotten on Remembrance Sunday.
Harry and Meghan “personally recognised” Remembrance Day instead on a visit to the Los Angeles National cemetery in an effort to pay their respects.
Prince Harry has a key military title on the line, as he held the ceremonial role of Captain General of the Royal Marines before stepping back in March.
Since then, the post has been kept vacant while a 12-month review of Harry and Meghan’s new relationship with the Royal Family unfolds.
Prince Harry warned: ‘Life choices’ put him in ‘awkward position’ [INSIGHT]
Prince William officially marks milestone as Prince Harry misses out [REPORT]
Meghan and Harry could ‘feel trapped and constricted’ in new role [ANALYSIS]
Mr Lacey added: “From everything we know it’s clear Harry would like to keep his military titles and connections.
“This would seem to be a sign that is not going to be possible.”
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex laid flowers they had picked from their own garden at two different graves.
One was for those who had served in the Royal Australian Air Force and one for soldiers from the Royal Canadian Artillery.
They also laid a wreath at an obelisk featuring an inscribed plaque reading: “In Memory of the Men Who Offered Their Lives In Defence Of Their Country.”
A spokesperson for the couple said: “It was important to the Duke and Duchess to be able to personally recognise Remembrance in their own way, to pay tribute to those who have served and to those who gave their lives.
“The couple laid flowers that the Duchess picked from their garden at the gravesite of two commonwealth soldiers.”
Alongside the wreaths, Prince Harry signed a message saying: “To all of those who have served, and are serving. Thank you.”
Source: Read Full Article