Europe

Princess Beatrice wedding: How cancelling wedding delivered ‘heavy blow’ to Queen

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Princess Beatrice was due to marry fiancé Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi in an intimate ceremony in the Chapel Royal at St James’s Palace on May 29. The eldest daughter of the Duke and Duchess of York was however forced to cancel the Royal Wedding 2020 because of the coronavirus pandemic still gripping the country. In addition to suffering a personal hit by having to postpone the ceremony, commentator Daniela Elser suggested the cancellation also delivered a “heavy blow” to the Queen herself.

Reviewing the impact of the cancellation for the New Zealand Herald, Ms Elser said: “Obviously this would have been a personal blow to Beatrice who has ended up with the unfortunate notoriety for being unlucky in the love department.

“However, the postponement of Bea’s big day is perhaps an even bigger blow for The Firm.

“The past year or so has been the most tumultuous in decades for the Queen and her family, managing to lose three working members of the royal family in the span of only two short months.”

The Queen suffered a succession of backlash and shocking announcement in the course of three months.

JUST IN: Baby Archie title shock: How Meghan Markle and Harry’s son to be next Duke of Sussex

First Beatrice’s father, Prince Andrew, sparked controversy with his unprecedented interview with BBC Newsnight.

The Duke of York appeared on the programme to discuss his relationship with convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein but his responses sparked widespread uproar from the wider public.

Buckingham Palace was ultimately forced to announce Andrew would take a break from all official roles but many experts have suggested it is unlikely the royal will return to his duties anytime soon.

And in January, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced they would step back from their position as working royal, with the pair agreeing to a one-year trial before confirming whether they will return to work for the Queen or not.

READ MORE: Zara Tindall’s heartbreaking tribute to ‘greatest friend’ after horse’s death

Princess Beatrice announced her engagement to entrepreneur Edoardo Mapelli-Mozzi in September with a series of pictures taken by her younger sister, Princess Eugenie.

Beatrice and Edoardo met as children but did not get together until the autumn of 2017.

The pair was due to tie the knot at St. James’s Palace on May 29 but confirmed in April the wedding would not go ahead.

The Church of England imposed strict regulation limiting the number of wedding attendees to five, thus Beatrice and Edo would have been forced to go ahead with the wedding without most of their families present.

DON’T MISS

Royal rebel: Former royal chef reveals Queen loves THIS food banned [INSIGHT]
Prince William heartbreak: Duke opens up on ‘traumatic’ youth [VIDEO]
Inconsistencies in Diana’s account of Palace life exposed [INSIGHT]

Beatrice is also believed to have agreed to postpone the wedding out of consideration for both the Queen and Prince Philip, who are both considered to be part of the category most at risk of catching the virus. 

Sarah, Duchess of York last week said she will not be seeing her eldest daughter on her would-be wedding as Princess Beatrice is currently isolating with her future mother-in-law.

Speaking to Darlton Harris on his City Island podcast, Fergie said: “It’s sad for me that Beatrice, she was going to get married next week, but they postponed the wedding.”

“Edo and Beatrice have been living with her future mother-in-law who is lovely. Great friend of mine.

“But I’m missing my other daughter but it’s just like everybody else, we are just the same family as everybody else.”

Source: Read Full Article