Europe

‘Provably false!’ Tory MP erupts at Huawei official’s defence as he shuts down each claim

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

The Government has announced that UK mobile providers will be banned from buying Huawei 5G equipment after December 31. Number 10 backtracked on their earlier decision to grant the Chinese tech giant access to British networks as a response to the USA’s imposition of sanctions on the company. Ed Brewster, the Communications Director at Huawei, urged the Government to reconsider when he spoke to Times Radio, but his defence of his bosses was dismantled by furious Tory MP Bob Seely.

Mr Brewster warned: “You want to be working with the best in the world, and the truth is I think a lot of people in Government agree with that when they look at the facts and evidence.

“What we’ve got here is a campaign from the world’s largest economy around frankly a reputation attack against a privately owned company that’s been here 20 years.”

Mr Seely shot back: “It’s easier for me to identify what was true in those sentences and as far as I can see, almost nothing was.

“Huawei is not the best in the world, and if you look at the amount of patents it has, it is fourth or fifth when it comes to 5G network providers.”

He continued: “Secondly, he said it’s a private company. In no conceivable way can Huawei, a firm mostly owned by Chinese unions which are part of the Chinese state, be considered a private firm.

“Huawei is the fig leaf by which China is trying to insert itself into other people’s critical national infrastructure.

“What that gentleman just said is just provably false.

“One of the problems with Huawei is, I’m afraid, they tell woffers.”

Initially, Boris Johnson concluded in January, on the advice of the UK’s intelligence agencies, that it would be safe to deploy Huawei in future 5G networks.

This was as long as the Chinese company was declared a “high-risk vendor” and therefore subject to a 35 percent cap on its share of the market.

However the decision was heavily criticised by Donald Trump’s administration and a growing group of rebel Conservatives.

DON’T MISS
China issues warning to Britain: ‘Hong Kong is no longer under UK!’ [WARNING]
‘Hideous’ Peter Mandelson savaged for ‘horrific’ defence of China [BACKLASH]
‘Now is time to act!’ Expert calls for special actions against China [EXCLUSIVE]

The US Government has now imposed new restrictions on the tech giant, severely limiting its ability to use American technology to design and manufacture semiconductors produced for it abroad.

An emergency review that was triggered last month to determine the technical impact of Huawei’s access.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has now announced in the Commons that Huawei 5G kits will be required to be removed from the UK by 2027.

This means that the UK’s 5G rollout will be delayed by a year.

Mr Dowden also warned that the cumulative cost of the moves when coupled with earlier restrictions announced against Huawei would add up to £2 billion.

Source: Read Full Article