Europe

Queen Elizabeth news: Where will Queen and Prince Philip go after Balmoral?

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh have been at Balmoral since the beginning of August, following more than four months in self-isolation at Windsor Castle. A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: “The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh plan to move to Balmoral Castle in early August to commence their annual summer stay. All arrangements will be in line with the relevant guidelines and advice.”

Where will the Queen and Prince Philip go after Balmoral?

While the Queen may be preparing to get back to work, she will not be returning to Buckingham Palace for the rest of the year.

According to a report from the Sunday Times, the Queen will instead head back to Windsor Castle in October when her yearly holidays are up.

The Queen has been at Windsor Castle since March 19, when the severity of the pandemic was really made apparent.

This is thought to be the monarch’s longest absence from Buckingham Palace in the 68 years she has been on the throne.

The Queen will, instead, continue working remotely from Windsor Castle.

She is understood to be keen on commuting into the city for engagements and events at Buckingham Palace if it considered safe for her to do so.

A royal source said: “There is a desire to get Buckingham Palace up and running again as a working palace, but only if all the relevant advice suggests that it is appropriate to do so.”

It is thought plans are being considered for how the Queen could safely attend the commemoration at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday in November.

However, a state visit from South Africa, which had been planned for October, is now “unlikely” to happen, according to the source.

The Queen is not expected to go back to Buckingham Palace again until the threat of coronavirus is completely eradicated.

She is, however, expected to spend her traditional Christmas break at Sandringham, Norfolk, where she will be in a specially created “bubble”.

Earlier this year, it was revealed 22 staff members of the royal household had sacrificed their home lives to look after the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor.

DON’T MISS
Princess Eugenie pregnant? Speculation sparks royal fan outrage  [INSIGHT]
Zara and Mike Tindall tested for COVID-19 days before visit to Queen [REPORT]
Princess Beatrice heartbreak: Why Bea’s Balmoral trip may be cancelled [ANALYSIS]

A memo issued to staff from the master of the household and former Royal Navy officer, Tony Johnstone-Burt, 62, called the mission to protect the monarch “HMS Bubble”.

Comparing the conditions to those he experienced at sea, he wrote: “There are 22 Royal Household staff inside the bubble, and it struck me that our predicament is not dissimilar to my former life in the Royal Navy on a long overseas deployment.

“Indeed, the challenges that we are facing whether self-isolating alone at home, or with our close household and families, have parallels with being at sea away from home for many months, and having to deal with a sense of dislocation, anxiety and uncertainty.”

The term ‘HMS Bubble’ reportedly amused both the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh, who himself served in the Navy where he was nicknamed “Big Bubble”.

An insider told The Sun: “Her senior staff, including her private secretary Sir Edward Young, and his assistants have all moved into the castle.

“They won’t be seeing their families because no risk can be taken and they can’t go in and out.

“The most important thing is to protect the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh from the virus.

“If something happened to them, it doesn’t bear thinking about.”

Their trip to Balmoral was the first time the Queen and her husband were able to see any family members or leave Windsor Castle.

Source: Read Full Article