Queen won't visit Prince Philip in hospital claims expert
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
Queen Elizabeth II, 94, showed she was not letting her husband Prince Philip’s, 99, current hospital stint affect her dedication to royal duty as she took part in a virtual engagement. The Queen put on a brave face and even managed a joke during the video call to unveil a new statue of herself in Australia.
During her video call with the Governor of South Australia Hieu Van Le and Steven Marshall, Premier of South Australia, the Queen joked the new statue could be mistaken for being the real her.
Upon seeing the artwork the Queen said: “I would think possibly it might be quite alarming to suddenly see it out of the window – you’d think, gracious, has she arrived unexpectedly?”
The sculpture depicts the Queen in a coat and hat carrying her trademark Launer handbag and has been installed in the grounds of Government House in Adelaide.
Upon hearing it had become a popular spot for people to take photographs, the Queen chuckled and said: “Oh really?”
Mr Le said: “They feel very close to you through standing in front of the statue.”
Sculptor Robert Hannaford also presented the Queen with a ‘maquette’, a scale model of the statue, which will be sent as a memento.
The Queen remarked: “That’s very kind. I’m glad it’s not quite as big as the original statue.”
The Queen also joked about what time of day it was in Australia, at the start of the call.
She said: “Good morning”, before adding: “Well that’s good morning to me. It looks…I don’t know what time of day it is to you.”
The Queen’s latest video call was released by the Palace on the same day her husband the Duke of Edinburgh was transferred to another hospital by ambulance.
The Duke was first admitted to King Edward VII hospital on February 16 for treatment of an infection.
On Monday the Palace confirmed Philip had been transferred to a different hospital two weeks after his initial admission.
Meghan Markle and Harry’s interview ‘could be scary for the Palace’ [INSIGHT]
Caller clash descends into chaos over Kate and Meghan Markle feud [VIDEO]
Princess Diana deeply regretted tell-all interview with Bashir [PICTURES]
A Palace spokesman said: “The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition.
“The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week.”
The Queen is currently isolating at Windsor Castle and is not expected to visit her husband in hospital.
Prince Charles, 72, is so far the only Royal Family member to have paid Prince Philip a visit.
The Duke is famously not one to make a fuss and a visit from the Queen could attract the kind of attention he may be keen to avoid during his time as an inpatient.
The Queen did not visit Philip in hospital when he last spent time there ahead of Christmas in 2019.
Nor did she visit the Duke in hospital following his hip replacement in 2013.
He is expected to return to Windsor Castle to be with the Queen once he is discharged.
Source: Read Full Article