Europe

Queen sparked ‘ill feelings’ among Royal Family with title removal

Queen Margrethe of Denmark strips grandchildren of royal titles

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Earlier this month, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark stripped a few members of her family of their royal titles. The decision was reportedly made so they could “forge their own lives” and live “without the constraints” that come along with the use of the titles. According to The Sunday Times’ royal editor Roya Nikkhah, the Queen’s decision, despite seemingly fuelled by. good intentions, has resulted in frosty feelings within the Danish Royal Family.

Speaking on the latest episode of True Royalty TV’s The Royal Beat, Ms Nikkhah said: “On the one hand she’s trying to say go off, forge your own lives and don’t always have this, sort of, a noose around your neck where people will come at you and go ‘you’re making money off, you’re trading off [of] your royal connections.”

She added: “Their reaction is, you know what, we’re are already forging our own lives, we’ve got our own careers, why are you taking this away from us, so suddenly, now.”

Ms Nikkhah noted that it has “not had the reaction she was expecting”.

She added that it has “breadth an awful lot of ill feeling between them, the Queen and also, Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark”.

The 82-year-old announced she would be removing the princely titles from her youngest son Joachim’s four children Nikolai, 23, Felix, 20, Henrik, 13, and Athena, 10.

Following this, royal experts reported earlier this week that more title removals could be set to happen for two other of Queen Margrethe’s grandchildren.

Royal experts are presuming that Princess Mary’s youngest children, 11-year-old twins Princess Josephine and Prince Vincent, might lose their titles in the future.

The news of the title removal for Joachim’s four children was released through a palace statement which said: “As of January 1 2023, the descendants of His Royal Highness Prince Joachim will only be able to use their titles of Count and Countess of Monpezat, their previous titles of Prince and Princess of Denmark ceasing to exist.”

Kate Middleton reunites with Queen Margrethe of Denmark

The title removal decision reportedly upset Joachim and his four children.

The Prince insisted that his mother only gave him five days’ notice, despite claims that the decision “has been a long time coming”.

Folllowing the news, the Danish monarch expressed her sorrow for the upset it caused.

Despite this, she did not act to reverse the decision, which will come into effect in January 2023.

DON’T MISS

Archie and Lilibet ‘not going to get titles’, says expert [INSIGHT]
Prince Harry warned royal demands on William ‘won’t work’ [ANALYSIS]
Prince William ‘almost in tears’ over Prince Harry questioning brother [VIDEO]

The 82-year-old said she wanted to keep the monarchy in “keeping with the times” and added it would “future-proof” the institution.

She admitted that she had “underestimated” the decision and said she was “sorry”.

The move mimics the actions of other European royal households, who have begun to reduce the number of working members in a bid to modernise and make the monarchy more agile.

Sweden’s Royal House includes the King and Queen, Crown Princess Victoria and her husband Prince Daniel and children Estelle and Oscar, Prince Carl Philip with wife Princess Sofia, Princess Madeleine and Princess Birgitta.

Madeleine’s husband and children, her nephews by brother Carl Philip and other relatives are included in the Royal Family but do not carry out work on behalf of the Crown.

READ NEXT:

  • King Charles III will be ‘ruthless’ if Harry and Meghan continue ‘unfair attacks’
  • King Charles ‘ready to ban’ Harry and Meghan from coronation, new claim
  • Queen Mother would not approve of Camilla’s break in royal tradition—’Not a great idea’
  • Prince William enraged by The Crown’s showing of ‘all-out war’ between Charles and Diana
  • The Crown sparks outrage over plans to re-enact Princess Diana’s final days before crash

Source: Read Full Article