We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
During the coronavirus lockdown, Her Majesty, 94, has been living at Windsor Castle with Prince Philip and the couple recently travelled to Balmoral Castle for the summer.
But fears the Queen will not return to London’s Buckingham Palace were raised last month after Royal staff faced redundancy as the pandemic destroyed the tourism industry.
In normal circumstances, the Queen would return to Buckingham Palace in October during her stay at Balmoral.
But a source claims Her Majesty will instead return to Windsor Castle with the Duke of Edinburgh following their stay in Scotland.
The source told the Sunday Times: “There is a desire to get Buckingham Palace up and running again as a working palace, but only if all the relevant advice suggests that it is appropriate to do so.”
It is believed measures are being reviewed for how the Queen could attend commemorations at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday in November.
Reports say Her Majesty has been told her close-knit ‘bubble’ of household staff is still the safest way to reduce the chance of spreading the virus.
This comes after claims the Queen may never be allowed to return to her public duties.
Royal biographer, Andrew Morton, told The Sun: “It’s terribly sad but I can’t see how the Queen can resume her usual job.
“The COVID-19 virus isn’t going away soon and will be with us for months, if not years.
“It would be far too risky for the Queen to start meeting people on a regular basis.”
However, royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams, believes the House of Windsor has proven to be a successful Royal Family due to their ability to reinvent themselves.
He told Express.co.uk: “The House of Windsor, over the last century, has tended to reinvent themselves.
Queen ‘horrified’ at Meghan and Harry book as palace branded ‘vipers’ [REVEAL]
Queen Elizabeth II backed for Buckingham Palace return [INSIGHT]
Queen Elizabeth II’s true home is Balmoral NOT Buckingham Palace [COMMENT]
“They have mastered the use of new technology and these virtual meetings.
“The way this has been handled is very significant because they are keeping up to date with the times but representing something that is linked to our past.”
Mr Fitzwilliams referred to when the Queen made a royal first by unveiling a stunning new portrait via a virtual ceremony, marking another piece of modern history for the Royal Family.
He continued: “The royals conduct their duties on Government advice and the future will depend on what they are advised to do.
“It will probably be a mix. There is speculation over preciously was the Queen will do.
“In 2019, the Queen nearly did 300 engagements. That is tremendously significant.
“The way that is being handled is very good. There is no doubt that the future will be mixed as we move to the new normal.
“They will obviously do what is advised.”
In June, it was believed around 250 staff, tour guides, caterers, office staff and wardens at the royal attractions, could face redundancy.
The Queen will reportedly be down by around £18million from the loss of income from tourism.
The Royal Collection Trust – which held in trust for the Queen and her successors – says it will make around a £30million loss this year as palaces continue to remain closed.
Source: Read Full Article