Europe

Queen’s Jubilee: Meghan and Harry warned not to ‘compete’ with monarch

GB News: Expert discusses The Queen's health and Meghan snub

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Meghan, 40, and Prince Harry, 37, celebrate their four-year wedding anniversary this week. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex tied the knot in a fairytale ceremony at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle on May 19, 2018. The Queen’s grandson and the American former actress delighted royal fans with their union, which came after almost two years of dating. Less than two years after their nuptials, in January 2020, Meghan and Harry announced that they were stepping back from their royal roles and would work to become financially independent.

The Queen then confirmed that after an agreement, the Sussexes would not return to ‘The Firm’ as working royals.

They now live in Montecito, California, with their two children, Archie Harrison and Lilibet Diana.

The couple have been warned by a royal historian not to “compete” with the Queen ahead of her Platinum Jubilee, to celebrate her 70 years on the throne.

Royal biographer Hugo Vickers spoke to Express.co.uk in the run-up to this summer’s historic royal milestone.

The royal historian, who knows Her Majesty personally, helped plan her last three jubilees and has helped promote the Platinum Jubilee.

JUST IN: Royal POLL: Should Meghan and Harry be allowed to become part-time royals?

He said: “I think the most successful members of the Royal Family are those who support the Queen.

“Without competing with her, and there are a number of them who do that very, very well.

“When they start competing with her and setting up rival courts and things – a bit like [Princess] Diana to some extent and certainly Harry and Meghan – it doesn’t really work very well.

“It is not very constructive.”

Meghan and Harry will not take part in the opening celebrations for the Jubilee, it was confirmed earlier this month.

Neither the Sussexes or Prince Andrew will appear on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, the Palace said.

The Queen has decided that the balcony appearance will be limited to working royals, who conduct official royal engagements.

The Royal Family traditionally pose for photographs on the Palace balcony for Trooping the Colour, which marks the official birthday of the Sovereign.

The royals typically wave to the crowds during the parade and watch on as the RAF performs a flypast.

Meghan and Harry will still travel to the UK during the Jubilee, which is held across an extended bank holiday weekend from June 2 to 5.

DON’T MISS: 
David Jason’s ‘disappointment’ over being knighted by Queen: ‘Where’s the other bit?’ [LATEST]
Prince Harry hates ‘stuffy’ royal engagements and ‘doesn’t like wearing ties’ – expert [INSIGHT]
Royal POLL: Should Meghan and Harry be allowed to become part-time royals? [ANALYSIS]

Mr Vickers commented on the couple’s new lives in the US and their abilities to harness the power of the media compared to previous royal generations.

He said: “Maybe that will work, maybe that is the way forward, maybe that makes our Royal Family look a little bit old-fashioned.

“But I think that what the Queen has done so brilliantly is to show what can be achieved by self-effacing and serving the nation rather than trying to set yourself up as something.

“Because the Queen is very modest as a person, and she also – I’d love to know when – decided that it was better to say nothing than to say something.

“We all feel we have to say things, but people should keep quiet much of the time, it’s very effective.

“We don’t know what the Queen thinks and she’s brilliant, if she doesn’t want to answer a difficult question she just smiles angelically and moves on.”

Source: Read Full Article