We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.
However, such fears have apparently been allayed, and the monarch, 94, with husband Prince Philip, 99, are believed to be due to jet over to Scotland’s Balmoral castle around the start of August, royal sources told the Sun.
Indeed, the government’s official travel advice, updated on June 24, states: “If visiting other parts of the UK – Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – you must adhere to the laws and guidance of the devolved administrations at all times”.
However, guidelines do differ between England and Scotland, which makes the situation a little more confusing for the general population.
Using vague language, Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon has said regarding distance that “if the distance is so far that you would have to use someone else’s bathroom, then perhaps you shouldn’t be doing it”.
In any case, none of this is set to hinder Her Majesty’s summer plans. She and Prince Philip may stay in Balmoral for up to three months, once Covid-19 restrictions regarding ‘shielding’ are lifted at the start of August.
A royal source told the Sun that “everything will be checked and double-checked to ensure there is no risk”.
The annual trip to Balmoral is an annual staple for the Queen. Throughout her reign, the Queen has aimed to spend several weeks there every year.
The Queen’s Scottish holiday home was first purchased for Queen Victoria by Prince Albert in 1852, after the 19th century royal couple were struck by the natural beauty of the Highlands.
However, the castle that stands there now is not the original one. The original was not deemed large enough for the royals to occupy, so William Smith, City Architect of Aberdeen, was commissioned to construct a new one nearby.
Once this new castle was completed, the old one was destroyed.
READ: Football fans honour Queen in hilarious way during Millwall draw with Swansea
Visits to Balmoral are usually open to the public from April, though this year this is not the case, understandably.
The April reopening of Balmoral Castle is currently delayed – it’s not clear when this might change.
Through the Covid-19 lockdown so far, the Queen and Duke have spent their weeks isolating in Windsor Castle.
While Her Majesty’s Balmoral plans seem to have been spared interruption from lockdown measures (as things stand), other aspects of royal life have not.
Why does the Queen always wear gloves? [INSIGHT]
Queen and Donald Trump phone call: What did the Queen tell Trump? [INSIGHT]
Former royal chef shares hilarious moment with Queen [REPORT]
For instance, both the Queen and Prince Philip celebrated their birthdays in low-key style this year, with the usual celebrations not going ahead.
For example, Buckingham Palace confirmed ahead of the Queen’s birthday in April that there would be not gun salutes to mark the event.
It’s thought that it was the first time in the Queen’s entire 68-year reign that the occasion was not marked by such a salute.
Similarly, the public Trooping the Colour parade – which marks the Queen other ‘official’ birthday in June did not go ahead.
Although reportedly, a private ceremony in Windsor Castle did go ahead.
Meanwhile, the Queen held a phone call with US President Donald Trump yesterday, according to the Royal Family’s Twitter account.
It came ahead of the US Independence Day celebrations, due to take place July 4.
Source: Read Full Article